Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NT8 - 2 data connections, how does this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 - 2 data connections, how does this work?

Hi,
    I have a Single Broker license connected to Interactive brokers.
    To feed NT8, can I use Kinetic or IQfeed only for historical data, and then IB for live/real-time data?
    How are the experiences with a combination like this or similar?

I see the fee for CME mini's is USD 66 p/mnth (and I'm trying to avoid paying for it), how does this compare to the much cheaper data I'm getting from IB?

Thanks
    Dennis

Hello Dennis,

Thanks for your post.

It is absolutely possible to configure NinjaTrader to pull historical data from IQFeed or Kinetick and real-time data from Interactive Brokers. You'd do this by configuring your preferred connections for both real-time and historical data. Preferred connections can be set at Control Center > Tools > Options > Market data.I have provided a link to this section of our help guide below;

As far as how the data compares, the only thing that I would like to mention is that Interactive Brokers historical data can be very limiting when compared to a specialized data provider such as Kinetick or IQFeed. Interactive Brokers has publicly available documentation of these limitations and is very clear that they are not possible to overcome.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_Zachary; 07-21-2020, 03:30 PM.
    Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi
      My broker is Interactive Brokers. I am just about to purchase a lifetime license for NT8. I am paying for live data feeds through IB but the data is pretty bad so i would like to purchase data through Kinetic for real time and historical. If i do this, can I cancel my real time data with IB and just use Kinetic or do i still need data through IB to place trades/orders?

Comment

I don't use IB so I don't know for sure. You should ask IB directly about
        cancelling your real time data and how that would affect placing orders
        in your IB account.

[EDIT: I presume the real question is about saving money by cancelling
        the IB data feed portion -- ie, your question is: can this be done? The
        'saving money' question you really need to inquire with IB directly.]

But, absolutely, I think what you suggest should work just fine.

Let me explain what I do know.

When NinjaTrader makes a successful connection, that Connection may
        offer one feed or two feeds -- these feeds are kept very separate -- let's
        call them the 'data feed' and the 'order feed'.

The 'data feed' is usually a real-time data feed, but doesn't have to be.
        Witness the standard Connection 'Kinetic - End Of Day (free)' -- its data
        feed consists of historical data only -- and it doesn't include Tick or Minute
        data at all, just Day data. This Connection has no order feed.

The 'order feed' is only provided if the Connection supports an account.
        That is, the 'order feed' represents some kind of broker specific technology
        that is ready to accept orders and provide updates to those orders, all
        owned by your account, to and from one or more exchanges.

The point is, a 'Connection' in NinjaTrader may support either of these feeds,
        or both of them. NinjaTrader has a very flexible model and allows you to get
        your 'data feed' from any of your Connections that offer one.

That's why someone with Rithmic or Continuum (both of which support a
        data feed and an order feed) can subscribe to Kinetic or IQFeed and use
        that data feed instead.

On the NinjaTrader side of the equation, what you're wanting to do should
        work perfectly fine. You pay a subscription to Kinetic or IQFeed (these are
        data feed only companies, their data is not free) and setup a Connection
        using the credentials provided. This Connection will have no order feed.

But your Connection to IB should still contain an order feed that allows you
        to place orders in your IB account. You still need this order feed.

My point is: whether the IB connection offers a data feed and an order feed
        doesn't matter because you can always ignore their data feed and replace it
        with something else. What does matter (and I think is what you're asking) is
        can you turn off the data feed portion of the IB connection (and save some
        money) and still use the order feed portion -- the answer is yes, but only if
        IB allows it.

What I mean is, consider that Rithmic and Continuum come with both a data
        feed and an order feed -- but these Connections do not allow the data feed
        portion to be turned off. That is, these companies don't offer a mechanism
        to disable the data feed in order to reduce the fees you pay them (if any).
        Think of it like this: If you don't want Rithmic data, fine, you can use Kinetic
        or IQfeed, or whatever. But that doesn't turn off the Rithmic data feed, it
        just causes NinjaTrader to ignore it.

Full circle back to IB -- you need to ask them can you disable their data
        feed without impacting your abilities to place orders to your account via
        NinjaTrader (I'm almost positive the answer is yes-- but you should check
        with them anyways) and, most importantly, can you save money by doing
        this.

If IB allows this, the money you save can be used towards a Kinetic data feed
        subscription. Like I said, just make sure IB lets you 'cancel the data feed portion',
        because Rithmic and Continuum aren't quite structured that way (recall Rithmic
        and Continuum are not brokers, they are broker technology companies). The
        point is: you need to ask IB directly, since obviously they are a broker, but they
        have their own broker technology, so one would think IB is well structured and
        can separate the two feeds quite easily.

And finally, after you cancel your IB data feed and setup your Kinetic real-time
        data feed subscription, then configure a brand new real time Kinetic Connection
        in NinjaTrader using your Kinetic supplied credentials -- then, yes, absolutely, the
        NinjaTrader platform will have zero issues using your IB Connection order feed
        with your Kinetic Connection real-time data feed.

That is, inside the NinjaTrader software, you will initiate a connection to two
        separate Connections -- your IB Connection and your Kinetic Connection --
        the first provides the order feed, the latter provides the data feed. The order
        of connections shouldn't matter, and neither should the 'Preferred connections'
        at 'Tools->Options->Market data' -- since if you cancel the IB data feed the
        only remaining data feed will be your new Kinetic data feed.

Make sense?
        Last edited by bltdavid; 06-26-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that reply. That was awesome and exactly what i needed to know.
          I really appreciate the time and effort you made.

Thanks

Comment

You're welcome!

It sounds like you've determined that IB real-time data is crap^H^H^H^H insufficient
            for your needs.

I'd recommend you go ahead and subscribe to a Kinetic data feed subscription.

Do that now.
            Then configure NinjaTrader 8 to use this new Connection.

Only after this new Connection is working do you cancel your IB data feed.

Why?

Because regardless of what IB says about letting you save money by disabling
            the IB data feed, you need the Kinetic data feed anyways, right? So, just do it,
            I mean, go ahead, just get 'er done. ASAP. Muy pronto. Schnell! Schnell!

Many people on this forum use IB+Kinetic (or IB+DTN/IQFeed), so it should
            work great.

My advice is:
            If you cannot save money by cancelling your real-time IB data feed, just
            accept it as a 'no big deal' situation. Why? Because you can completely
            replace the IB data feed, and in the scheme of life, that's truly the real goal
            you're trying to achieve, right?

And oh, btw, welcome to the Forums!

PS: Well, rats, I think it's officially spelled Kinetick -- with two k's. My bad.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by bmartz, 03-12-2024, 06:12 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Zachary