NT8 supporting Cryptocurrencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT8 supporting Cryptocurrencies

I've recently upgraded my NT8 to 8.0.21.1 64-bit. I read somewhere that 8.0.15 and above should be able to support crypto prices. Importing prices & graphing, NOT trading.

I did notice that if defining instruments, tick size now supports 8 decimals (ie BTC prices).

I imported lots of price history via csv. The imports ran without error.

The instruments are all visible in Historical Data, but whats missing in all records is the PRICES. Just shows 0 for all. Dates & Volume there & visible.

This seems to indicate to me that Historical data prices are not showing the correct number of decimals. I assume 8 decimals are now supported?

How can I setup my database for this scenario? Tnx.

For your reference, here is information about the formatting that NinjaTrader expects and needs:Does the data you've imported adhere to these requirements?

What cryptocurrency instruments are you using? Did they already exist in NinjaTrader's database, or did you manually create them?

Please attach the file you imported with historical data

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of the data formats. I've been importing csv files for a long time.
      Here is one of the csv files. Hourly data from 1 Jan 2019 from Binance.
      Like I said, no errors on import. I'm importing 220 such files (all BTC crosses on Binance).

I have had to manually create ALL these instruments. I've included a screenshot of the ADABTC definition I did in NT. The only problem I can see in the definition is that its currency is USD, when in fact the base currency is BTC.

I'm happy to supply more troubleshooting or details. Does this latest NT8 support BTC crosses to 8 decimals, or just Crypto/FIAT pairs? The fact that NT8 support 8 decimals in price suggests to me that crypto crosses (BTC crosses such I have).
      Attached Files

Comment

The root issue here is that 'ADA' is not a supported cryptocurrency. Here is a list of the current supported cryptocurrencies:
        • "BAT", "BCH", "BTC", "CVC", "DAI", "DNT", "ETC", "ETH", "GNT", "LOM", "LTC", "MAN", "MKR", "USC", "XLM", "XRP", "ZEC", "ZIL", "ZRX"
        The Development Team is planning on expanding this list, however, for now you can only create cryptocurrencies from the list above.

Comment

Sorry but you need to clarify your answer. You are listing traded currencies as single XXX rather than a currency pair XXX/YYY. Or do you infer that all those cryptos listed are in USD base currency?

I can understand restrictions on price data streams (which I'm not using for crypto), and trading (I would be writing my own trading code). But for price imports? Sorry, I don't understand.

Do I understand correctly that NT8 does NOT support crypto crosses (eg ADA/BTC, LTC/BTC) , only USD (or other fiat) denominated cryptos. (ie BTC/USD, ETH/USD, LTC/USD).
          I have already long ago successfully imported many USD & EUR denominated crypto pairs. I know that works.

Can you confirm that non-fiat crypto pairs are not supported in NT8?

Looking at your list again, my above assumption re FIAT denominated cryptos is possibly wrong. I have already successfully imported DASH/USD & DASH/EUR which is not on your list.

Further feedback would be appreciated.
          Last edited by rhubear; 05-01-2020, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Any combination of the listed curencies would be supported. ADA is not supported, so no currency pair with ADA in it will currently function. The simple answer to 'why' is the currency needs to be hard-coded into NinjaTrader's database to function. ADA is not therefore it will not work. If you were to import the exact same data as LTCBTC or any combination of supported currencies, it would work.

Here are the current built in fiat and non-fiat pairs:I suspect DASH is working because NinjaTrader does not recognize the symbol as a currency

Comment

Here are some screenshots of my DASH/EUR and DASH/BTC. DASH/EUR works fine (chart shown). DASH/BTC imports prices as 0.01 (not 0 bizarrely).

I've taken another look at DASH/EUR. It is NOT defined in the Master Instruments list. It IS defined in the normal Crypto list as a STOCK. So if that works for me, then I need to define all my other crypto pairs as STOCKS. I will try, bizarre!

Seems ALL my custom defined cryptos are defined BOTH as crypto & stock. Why/How is that? (screenshot (all both crypto & stock))
              Attached Files
              Last edited by rhubear; 05-01-2020, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I have deleted ADABTC as a Crypto definition in Master List. Changed Stock definition to 8 decimal tick size.
                I took a look at the historical database. ADABTC had already had its database deleted/cleared.
                I then imported hourly csv as both hourly & Daily.
                ADABTC prices now show correctly (all 8 decimals) in the Historical Database. Thats all I need.

Could you comment on why this works?
                Attached Files

Comment

Because you've defined the instrument as a stock and not a currency.

Comment

Why would a stock function any better than a currency in NT?

Even with 8 decimals, a stock instrument works whereas a currency instrument does not work.
                    I would expect stocks to be limited to $/c (ie 2 decimals).

Do stocks support derivative style "long tick value"?

So basically this is the answer you should have given me originally.

Comment

I answered this question in post #6:

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
                      The simple answer to 'why' is the currency needs to be hard-coded into NinjaTrader's database to function.

Comment

I started to work with cryptocurrency a few months ago and started to learn to trade with them and make money online. NT8 seems to be the best and most comfortable tool because it has all the needed features and nothing more. I also faced this problem. I couldn't see the prices, everywhere was 0. So I decided that something went wrong with the system and I need to reinstall everything. So I reinstalled and installed it again and again until it started to show the prices. I have no idea what the cause was, but it started to work somehow. And the most interesting thing is that I knew it is gonna work.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                        47 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post aligator  
                        Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post jaybedreamin