Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble loading data in NT8.

Hello,

So, for the past days I've had some trouble with NT8 and loading data.

I connect to my data provider (IQ Feed & Ninjatrader Continuum) and everything connects fine, but no new data arrives. The charts are simply dead.

I enter "Reload all historical data", but nothing happens. I try switching from 5-minute to 1-minute chart to see if that can kickstart something. The chart says "Loading...", but nothing happens.

Solution? I usually have to exit and re-launch Ninjatrader hoping things will resolve.

Had to do that yesterday and had to do it right now.

Interestingly, when Ninja re-launches - it seems like new data has loaded (which was not there before shutting down).

Connecting now and everything is fine.

So, problem solved? But do I really have to exit and re-launch NT8? Is this a common problem which has a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for creating this post and including these details today.
    The performance or speed when NinjaTrader loads a workspace or opens a chart can be attributed to processing historical data. After the workspace or chart has been loaded and all the historical data has been processed, performance is mainly affected by the processed real-time data. You may experience non-reactive or unresponsive behavior that seems to be stuck on "loading" in NinjaTrader when you have many charts, indicators and other windows open, when you open a workspace or chart, and after the workspace is loaded. Market volatility can have an impact with this as well.

Here are some tips to improve loading performance:

If you have workspaces opened in the background which you do not use, we suggest closing such workspaces as multiple open workspaces can contribute to this behavior.

To do this in NinjaTrader 8:
    • On the Control Center open the Workspaces menu and look for any workspaces that show an icon of two squares on the left of the workspace name
    • The workspace showing the icon with the green square on top of the gray square is the workspace opened on your monitor
    Any workspaces that are showing icon with the gray square on top of the green square are opened in the background and are using resources
    • Hover the mouse above a workspace that is open in the background (with the gray square on top of the green square)
    On the right the open to close will appear, click close
    • Repeat this procedure until only the active workspace (with the green square on top of the gray square) is open
    Here is a publicly available link to the NinjaTrader help guide on closing a workspace in NinjaTrader 8.

Some performance tips for charts, items that will improve load time performance:
    • In the Data Series parameters, reduce the number of 'Days to load' or decrease the date range to improve a charts initial loading time
    • In the Data Series parameters, disable Tick Replay (if enabled and not needed) to improve a charts initial loading time
    • Remove unused charts and indicators as they can be using CPU power.
    There are more tips and suggestions to improve the performance of NinjaTrader 8 in the help guide link below:

If you still are experiencing this behavior after trying different performance tips, you could email us at platformsupport(at)ninjatrader(dot)com for more additional assistance and further investigation.

Thank you again for posting on the forums today. Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi, Brendan C.

Thank you for your thourough reply.

1. I do not use more than one Workspace open at any time. Already learned this the hard way. I also don't have long look-back periods.

2. The problem reported have not been slow load time - but that Ninja does not seem to load data at all. The only remedy seems to be quit and re-start Ninjatrader. In effect - this means I can't rely on Ninja working when I launch it.

This can be a concern for an intraday trader, but yesterday I was early so had enough time to sort it out.

I will report back if the problem persists. If it was a one-time event - I would not have bothered, but it's happened a few times now.

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for your follow-up post. I am happy to help any way I can.

I can understand your concern with this type of behavior. If you run into this behavior again and if it persists, I would encourage you to reach out to us directly as we would be able to look at your files and look further into what could be causing this behavior on your platform. This would allow us to see more of what is going on "under the hood" of NinjaTrader when you start it up and this behavior occurs as there may be something causing the data to not load like you have reported.

Thank you again for your post and like I said, please do not hesitate to reach out to us for additional assistance or any other NinjaTrader inquiries.

Comment

Hi again, BrendanC,

No issues today. Connected quickly and data was available instantly.

No changes in workspaces. No changes at all.

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel this suggests that the platform isn't entirely stable. I'm of course happy it worked fine today, but am worried it can happen again in the future.

Let's hope not.

Best regards and thanks for your comment.

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thank you for updating us with this post. I am happy to hear that you were able to connect today without any issues, and we appreciate the feedback.
            Once again it is hard to say exactly what is the source of this behavior without looking at your files and other specific details. However, I would recommend keeping track of when it occurs (if it ever occurs again) and also keep track of any other potential behavior that occurs at that time, other symptoms, etc. I would also highly recommend reaching out to us over Email the next time this happened as we would be able to get a closer look at your files and see what the platform is reporting at the time of the behavior.

Thank you again for your post and please let us know if you have any other NinjaTrader inquiries or questions. Have a great day!

Comment

which data provider have tick chart and range chart?

Comment

Hello JinliYu,

Thank you for posting this question on the forum.
                In general there are many data providers that will provide the ability to plot data for both Tick based charts and Range charts. Seeing as though Range bars are based on a specified tick price range, you should be able to access both Range and Tick charts with a provider that offers real time data. Here is a list of the data providers that are available and the different type of data they offer: Data by Provider

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries.

Comment

Hello,
                  I just installed my ninjatrader 8 and connected with my account, but I have a frame time issue the problem is that data is not loading when frame time is less than D (today) .
                  Thanks in advence
                  Hamza

Comment

Hello hamzamsiah,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this forum post.

I would recommend checking and verifying you are connected to a data provider that offers real time data. For example, if you are connected to 'Kinetick - End of day (Free)', this would only supply you with daily data.

I have provided a publicly available link that goes over the different data providers and the type of data they offer in further detail below:Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any other NinjaTrader inquiries in the future. If you require additional assistance, you can always feel free to email us at platformsupport(at)ninjatrader(dot)com for further support.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post The_Sec
                    by The_Sec

Started by GwFutures1988, Today, 02:48 PM
                    1 response
                    0 likes