Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Such a ridiculous error message: Can we put any trust in NT8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a ridiculous error message: Can we put any trust in NT8?

This one must take the cake. How in the blue hell can I reload data to December 31, 2020?! Wow, if I could do that, why would I need to trade when NT8 thinks that it can provide data 9 months+ into the future? Once I know the future, how can I possibly fail? I wish. Without jest, this leaves a sour taste in the month, and decreases my confidence in what I now think has been a rather fragile and, dare I say, flaky(?) program.
    Attached Files

Hello koganam,

Thank you for your note.

I've removed your log and trace files from your post as those can contain personally identifiable data.

This looks like a problem with corrupted data, which can cause issues like you are seeing. In the trace file the actual dates requested are reflected appropriately.

Here's the full trace of one of the errors:

2020-03-10 16:26:46:155 ERROR: Data.Bars.Load3: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
    at System.IO.__Error.EndOfFile()
    at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte()
    at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsBytes.Decompress(BinaryReader reader, Boolean fromUtc, Bars barsProxy, Nullable`1 minTime, Nullable`1 maxTime, Boolean suppressSessionHandling)
    at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsBytes.Decompress(BinaryReader reader, Bars barsProxy)
    at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsSeries.Load()

Since it's not getting to the correct end of the file, it fills that end of the year date in.

I would recommend deleting your historical data and then opening a new chart to redownload the corrected data.

Please delete your historical data using the instructions provided at the following page of the NinjaTrader Help Guide:

Removing Historical Data
    • Once the data has been deleted close NinjaTrader. Open the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder. Select all files then right mouse click and select “delete.”
    • Open NinjaTrader and connect to your data provider. Open a new chart.
    Please let me know if this resolves this item.

Kate W.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kate View Post
      Hello koganam,

Thank you for your note.

I've removed your log and trace files from your post as those can contain personally identifiable data.

This looks like a problem with corrupted data, which can cause issues like you are seeing. In the trace file the actual dates requested are reflected appropriately.

Here's the full trace of one of the errors:

2020-03-10 16:26:46:155 ERROR: Data.Bars.Load3: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
      at System.IO.__Error.EndOfFile()
      at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadByte()
      at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsBytes.Decompress(BinaryReader reader, Boolean fromUtc, Bars barsProxy, Nullable`1 minTime, Nullable`1 maxTime, Boolean suppressSessionHandling)
      at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsBytes.Decompress(BinaryReader reader, Bars barsProxy)
      at NinjaTrader.Data.BarsSeries.Load()

Since it's not getting to the correct end of the file, it fills that end of the year date in.

I would recommend deleting your historical data and then opening a new chart to redownload the corrected data.

Please delete your historical data using the instructions provided at the following page of the NinjaTrader Help Guide:

Removing Historical Data
      • Once the data has been deleted close NinjaTrader. Open the Documents\NinjaTrader 8\db\cache folder. Select all files then right mouse click and select “delete.”
      • Open NinjaTrader and connect to your data provider. Open a new chart.
      Please let me know if this resolves this item.

Thanks for deleting those files. I thought that I had sanitized them, but now see that I did a poor job of that, as I overlooked the connection details report.

The rest of this response will not sound polite. I do not mean to be rude, but there is not other way that I can think of saying what comes next.

The issue here is not whether or not data is corrupted. That is pretty clearly stated by the error itself. I can read it from the GUI, and from the trace file. The issue is that your program is returning an absolutely ridiculous message, which to many less technical savvy folks, is misleading and frankly, looks appallingly incompetent. Instead of addressing that, you go off on a spiel making recommendations to do that which is blatantly obvious to someone like me. I have many times seen this attitude of deflection, red herrings, and non-sequitur answers, when obvious issues with apparently mistaken programming are pointed out on the forum. I sometimes wonder if they actually teach NT staff these circumlocutory logic tricks, or do you all just come up with them on your own?

Could you instead please just ask your programmers to return reasonable, sensible, not-impossible-to-meet, error messages?

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
        to many less technical savvy folks
        Since i'm one of these less technical savvy folks i'd have to say the error message makes PERFECT sense. Its telling you to remove all data from the FIRST DATE to the last. So obviously that means everything from the FIRST date to the current + any future dates because the data is corrupted.

Since i can read this and understand it, I imagine someone who has "sanitized" their logs (although not very good at it as you mentioned) should be smart enough to read the error the same way too.

This really isn't something to complain about and I don't see a thing that needs changing. Pick your battles.. this isn't worth changing or fight over.

Comment

Originally posted by User1104 View Post

This really isn't something to complain about and I don't see a thing that needs changing. Pick your battles.. this isn't worth changing or fight over.
          I agree with you.
          Many postings on this forum are to me slightly "agressive" while in reality NT is a good product. I have never seen software that never had any bugs or problems.
          I am always surprised that NT support stays so calm and polite. With some posters I would have problems to stay calm and polite.

Comment

Hello koganam,

The platform is very expansive. There are certainly things that can be improved with regards to functionality and error reporting. We have tracked your feedback for improving the error messaging in our internal suggestion ticket SFT-4704.

Your point carries more gravity than the strong language used. We ask that you bring up this feedback in a respectful manner.
            JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by lightsun47, Today, 03:51 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post lightsun47  
            Started by 00nevest, Today, 02:27 PM
            1 response
            0 likes