A few issues that really bug me about NT8 charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few issues that really bug me about NT8 charts

I put together a video in SWF format you can pull here.

Basically bar width in equidistant charts (a.k.a. stacked panels) should be universally adjustable. The way it works right now is just silly and has obviously not been tested properly.

Strange date format issues with 1440 minute equidistant charts - may also happen with regular ones. The video shows exactly how to replicate the problem. And yes I have deleted all my data and reloaded it from scratch (Kinetick via IQFeed connector).

Oh and I forgot. What is the deal with the default format of minute or day charts? A lot of time the setting doesn't stick and I've seen other folks complain about this.

Multi-panel windows? Or simply cloning a chart? Seriously? In 2017 I have to ask for these things? This was complained about in late 2015 when you guys released it into beta.

I hope at least some of this gets fixed

Thanks for the feedback. I'll submit a feature request to allow for adjustment of bar width on all data series simultaneously. I'll update this post when I receive a tracking number. EDIT: the tracking number is SFT-2826. Another way to adjust the bar width without having to enter the data series window would be to single left-click on the data series to select it and then use the hotkeys to adjust. This will change the bar width for whichever data series you have selected.

I am not able to reproduce your trading hours issue on my end. You mentioned that you deleted all of your data. Please clarify - what does this mean exactly? What specifically did you delete?

I am not quite sure what you're referring to regarding default formats. Please go into further detail about what you're experiencing. If it is an issue which is easy to reproduce, please provide detailed steps.

I'll be happy to submit a feature request for multi-panel charts as you describe them. Currently, charts can be multi-panel, but it is limited to vertical panels (like the chart in your video). Could you describe multi-panel windows in further detail so I understand what you're looking for?

You can 'clone' a chart by right-clicking on the chart's tab at the bottom of your chart window and selecting 'duplicate in new tab' or 'duplicate in new window'. Chart templates also allow another method of 'chart cloning'. When you say 'cloning a chart', are you referring to something different than the two items mentioned above?
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input - please see below:

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickG View Post
      Thanks for the feedback. I'll submit a feature request to allow for adjustment of bar width on all data series simultaneously. I'll update this post when I receive a tracking number. Another way to adjust the bar width without having to enter the data series window would be to single left-click on the data series to select it and then use the hotkeys to adjust. This will change the bar width for whichever data series you have selected.
      Okay, that works but the current implementation is not intuitive. If you want to change a single series then you ought to only select that one (including the very first/top one). When nothing is selected then it would make sense that all the candles change width, don't you agree?

I am not able to reproduce your trading hours issue on my end. You mentioned that you deleted all of your data. Please clarify - what does this mean exactly? What specifically did you delete?
      I deleted all the historical data of those data series and then reloaded them from scratch. It doesn't make sense that some of them would show a different time on mouse over.

I am not quite sure what you're referring to regarding default formats. Please go into further detail about what you're experiencing. If it is an issue which is easy to reproduce, please provide detailed steps.
      I'm referring to the look & feel of the chart, i.e. background color, axis colors, whether to show a session line, etc. It's not very intuitive right now and it appears to be failing sometimes but I can't 100% verify this. Wouldn't it make sense to simply have a chart look & feel stored somewhere? I guess one would use a template but those actually include the instrument series and the indicators.

What I want to be able to do is to simply have various 'skins' for charts I can load by name. Does that make sense?

I'll be happy to submit a feature request for multi-panel charts as you describe them. Currently, charts can be multi-panel, but it is limited to vertical panels (like the chart in your video). Could you describe multi-panel windows in further detail so I understand what you're looking for?
      Yes, horizontal panels as well so that I can establish a simple grid. This would be different from equidistant panels in that they would not be connected to each other. It would simply be a grouping of distinct chart windows that line up with each other. Right now I'm forced to use a Windows utility to accomplish that and it's not very good.

You can 'clone' a chart by right-clicking on the chart's tab at the bottom of your chart window and selecting 'duplicate in new tab' or 'duplicate in new window'. Chart templates also allow another method of 'chart cloning'. When you say 'cloning a chart', are you referring to something different than the two items mentioned above?
      No, this is perfect and a heaven sent. This alone will probably save me several days over of wasting time in the coming year. Thanks for implementing this - thumbs up

Comment

Many changes made to your chart will only affect the primary data series by default. This is the expected behavior. However, we're not opposed to making changes based on client feedback. This is precisely what the 'feature request' is for. I do not yet have a tracking number, however, I'll update this thread once I do. You can then monitor the release notes for the tracking number to see when/if it is implemented:

How, exactly, did you delete the historical data? Did you delete it from within NinjaTrader? or did you shut down NinjaTrader and delete the data from where it is stored on your PC. Did you delete the cache folder? If not, please follow the steps below:

To delete the cache, follow the steps below.
        • Shut down NinjaTrader.
        • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
        • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.
        • Restart NinjaTrader and test.

The settings you're referring to can be saved as a chart template and/or as default chart settings. You can learn more about using these settings here:

Additionally, you can use overall 'skins' to further customize the platform. There are only a few by default, but it is possible to create your own through custom NinjaScript programming:

I'll submit a feature request for the ability to configure chart panels horizontally in addition to the current vertical configuration. I'll update this thread when I receive a tracking number. EDIT: The tracking number is SFT-1768.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_PatrickG; 11-14-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I actually went into the historical data panel, selected the instruments and then right clicked 'delete'.

Thanks for the other input, I am familiar with how to save default settings for each period interval but it seemed non-intuitive to me. Maybe it's just me?

It's not so much 'horizontal charts' - it's more like the ability to simply align several discrete charts as a grid. This should be fairly easy for you guys to do as you already have access to each panel's X/Y info and then could just align them randomly into the grid that makes the most sense. Being able to drag the grid around (width and height) would perhaps be 2.0 functionality. Hope that makes sense.

Many changes made to your chart will only affect the primary data series by default. This is the expected behavior. However, we're not opposed to making changes based on client feedback. This is precisely what the 'feature request' is for. I do not yet have a tracking number, however, I'll update this thread once I do. You can then monitor the release notes for the tracking number to see when/if it is implemented:

How, exactly, did you delete the historical data? Did you delete it from within NinjaTrader? or did you shut down NinjaTrader and delete the data from where it is stored on your PC. Did you delete the cache folder? If not, please follow the steps below:

To delete the cache, follow the steps below.
          • Shut down NinjaTrader.
          • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
          • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.
          • Restart NinjaTrader and test.

The settings you're referring to can be saved as a chart template and/or as default chart settings. You can learn more about using these settings here:

Additionally, you can use overall 'skins' to further customize the platform. There are only a few by default, but it is possible to create your own through custom NinjaScript programming:

I'll submit a feature request for the ability to configure chart panels horizontally in addition to the current vertical configuration. I'll update this thread when I receive a tracking number.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
          6 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Barry Milan  
          Started by DanielSanMartin, Yesterday, 02:37 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post DanielSanMartin