Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem With Chart Trader ATM Profit Targets

Hello,

I have been having problems when using ATM Strategy profit targets in Chart Trader (NT8).

The problem is, when in a trade and I have a good sized profit, and I want to take it, so I move my Profit Target on top of the current price, then I get an error message like this (Forex):

Playback101, Unable to change order since new limit price is greater/equal ask price or smaller/equal bid price. affected Order: Sell 100000 Limit @ 0.99901

What happens is, by the time I recover from dealing with this error pop-up and try again to move my Profit Target next to the price, I've lost much of or all of the profits that I had.

This has happened to me so many times, that if it was with a live account, it would have made the difference between having profitable days and big money losing days.

How do I prevent this disasterous message from coming up?

Screenshot attached.
    Attached Files

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

When trading forex a buy limit order must be below the ask and a sell limit must be above the bid price.

The error is indicating that the sell limit is being moved to equal to or less than the bid.

You would need to ensure the limit is at least one tick above the bid. You can also click the Close button to close the trade.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I understand what it means. What I'm saying is that it is very problematic and should be changed. It did not used to be that way. Now, in the fast moving intraday markets, I have sizable profits turn into losses, because of this Limit Order behavior.

And yes, I also understand that I can use the Close button to close the trade. But oftentimes when I've done so in the past, when using my Stop-Loss to take profits, the price has taken off without reversing first, which means that I could've had a much larger profit, so I never like to use the Close button.

Many times when I move my Stop-Loss right next to the price, the price takes off giving me a much larger profit that I would've had, if I had used the Close button.

I have been putting my Stop-Loss right next to the price every time, in Forex, until I started getting an error message like the one I am getting when using Limit Orders (profit targets), so I switched to using Limit Orders.

But now I realize that was a mistake, in Forex, because of what I mentioned above about the price taking off and giving me a much larger profit.

So the bottom line is, both when using a Stop-Loss and when using a Limit Order to take profits, if I place them a little beyond the current price, I get the disastrous error message which often times turns my profitable trade into a loser or into much less of a profit.

So both error messages, when using a Stop-Loss and when using a Limit Order really should be removed or there should be a way that we can disable them. There's no reason for us to have to ask, "Mother may I?" when using a Stop-Loss or Limit Order.
      Last edited by i2w8am9ii2; 08-27-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

My initial reply was wrong, because I was talking about using a Limit Order when I meant to be talking about when using a Stop-Loss, so I just edited my reply.

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

This behavior would also affect a real forex brokerage which the NinjaTrader platform is not able to control.

Are you wanting to submit a feature request for the NinjaTrader Development to consider changing the rules of limit and stop limit orders with forex to allow orders to be modified to invalid prices specifically for the Playback and Simulated Data feeds?

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am wanting to submit a feature request for the NinjaTrader Development to consider changing the rules of limit and stop limit orders with Forex.

And if the same "Mother May I Use a Stop-Loss or Limit Order Now?" also exists with futures, then I would also want to submit a feature request for the rules of limit and stop limit orders with futures.

Thanks,

Comment

Error Pop-up Requires Pressing Okay Button Three Times

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
              Hello i2w8am9ii2,

This behavior would also affect a real forex brokerage which the NinjaTrader platform is not able to control...
              Hi Chelsea,

So let me just see if I understand this correctly, are you saying that the Forex brokers require that NT8 have a pop-up error message when the stop-loss or limit order is incorrect?

And if so, do they also require for the pop-up error message to come up three times, so that the user has to frantically press 'Okay' once, then a second time, and then a third time, to make it go away while in the middle of a profitable trade that's about to turn into a loser?

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

To clarify, are you wanting to submit a feature request to suppress the pop up warning instead of submitting a feature request to change the order rules of the simulation engine?

Forex brokerages will return an error message for an order that violates the order rules. NinjaTrader displays this error in a popup.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, the pop-up warning is the infuriating nightmare that sabotages my profitable trades.

Please get rid of it as soon as possible.

Comment

Chelsea,

One more thing... This is important, because I'm sure you agree, that there shouldn't be anything that interpheres with and prevents or slows a trader from exiting a trade with a stop-loss or limit order.

That's especially true when it comes to the fast moving, volatile, highly leveraged intraday markets.

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

When a manual order change is rejected, this will not cause the order to be cancelled. The order will continue to work at the previous valid price it was working at on the exchange servers or with the simulation engine. You will be able to exit a position using a limit or stop limit order once the market price meets that order.

A NinjaScript Strategy may become disabled if an order change is rejected. The error handling set for that strategy will dictate if the strategy becomes disabled and if any remain working orders are cancelled with the strategy is disabled.

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf for the NinjaTrader Development to consider allowing error message popups to be suppressed. Once I have a tracking ID for this request I will forward this for future reference.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for submitting the feature request.

As for the order not being cancelled, that has not been my experience and the delay caused makes that point irrelevant anyway.

As I said before, the pop-up error message comes up three times, and I have had it come up six times, causing a major delay.

So I have to frantically press 'Okay' once, then a second time, and then a third time, and sometimes more than that, to make the pop-up go away, while in the middle of a profitable trade that's about to turn into a loser.

Then when I recover from that nonsensical nightmare, I am always still in the trade and my stop-loss has been relocated to where it originally was, before I moved it next to the price, which is far away from the current price.

Then while still in the trade, my winning trade is either now a losing trade, or if not, the price is almost always different then when I originally decided to exit the trade.

And Ninjatrader only tells me that my stop-loss has been filled when I once again move it next to the price and it gets hit and executed, if I'm lucky.

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

While this would be expected behavior, our lead would like to review your log and trace files.

If a change order is rejected, the order will continue working at the previous working price.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please include a link to this forum thread.

Comment

Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for your reply and for all your help.

The Ninjatrader support team works very hard to solve our problems and to help with our issues, and it is very much appreciated.

I will send my log and trace files.

Thanks again for your time spent on this issue and for all your help.

Comment

Hello i2w8am9ii2,

Your request for an option to disable popup error notifications is being tracked with ID# SFT-671.

Please note it is up to the NinjaTrader Development to decide if and when a request will be implemented.

Thank you for your feedback on this topic.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ScottWalsh  
                              Started by olisav57, Today, 07:39 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes