Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Auto-Trend Line for NT8? Anyone come across anything useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-Trend Line for NT8? Anyone come across anything useful?

Hi all,

I'd be interested in a Auto-Trend Line indicator for use on faster intraday charts.

Has anyone come across anything like this? Even something that's available commercially for sale?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your post.

Have you looked through the NT user apps in the Ninjatrader ecosystem? These are public freely available indicators. Here is a link to the site: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/use...r-8-indicators Please note: The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Here are a few to check out:

This is a conversion of the NT7 indicator AutoTrendLine. Uses the swing indicator to place a trend line, based on the swing strength value. A cross of the trend line is indicated on chart with an arrow and is sent to the Alerts Panel. New in this version is a transparent plot that can be […]

This is a conversion of the NT7 indicator Fractals by Bill Williams. Please contact the original author for any questions or comments. 09-13-2021: – Added call to Update() in outputs to improve use in a strategy 11/02/15: – Added rays to connect last two fractal points and extend right – Added ability to set ray/text […]

This is a conversion of the NT7 indicator LinearTrendSpotter LinearTrendSpotter, as discussed in the September 2013 Stocks and Commodities article titled "Oscillators, Smoothed" by Sylvain Vervoort

This is a conversion of the Trend Spotter indicator from NT7. Automatically finds and draws a linear line to identify current trend based on user defined lookback periods. Options to draw line for uptrends and downtrends, each with two definable periods.

Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi, Paul,

Thanks a lot! I will make sure to check those out.

Johnny

Comment

Bump.

Still looking.

Comment

Any news here?

Alternatively or additionally - is there a drawing tool where the line can be anchored to the high/low of the bar I'm drawing from? That would make it easier/quicker to accurately draw lines.

Thank you.

Comment

Hell Johnny,

Thanks for your notes.

I am not aware of an indicator that accomplishes this specifically. You could consider browsing the NinjaTrader Ecosystem User App Share for a possible solution.

Ecosystem User App Share: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/user-app-share/

NinjaTrader does have a drawing tool feature called Snap Mode available that would allow you to anchor the lines to the high/low price of a bar.

See this help guide page about working with Drawing Tools: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...andingSnapMode

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_BrandonH View Post
              Hell Johnny,

Thanks for your notes.

I am not aware of an indicator that accomplishes this specifically. You could consider browsing the NinjaTrader Ecosystem User App Share for a possible solution.

Ecosystem User App Share: https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/user-app-share/

NinjaTrader does have a drawing tool feature called Snap Mode available that would allow you to anchor the lines to the high/low price of a bar.

See this help guide page about working with Drawing Tools: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...andingSnapMode

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
              Thanks, BrandonH.

I was pleased to hear about "Snap Mode". I might be doing something wrong, but with snap mode enabled (I tried all the various options for it) I don't get my lines to snap to the high/low of the bar and I can just as well draw the same line outside my time series.

Am I doing it wrong?

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your notes.

To have a drawing object such as a line snap to the high or low of a bar when manually drawing the object, you could use 'Snap mode' > 'Bar and Price'.

See this demonstration video showing how to snap a drawing objects, such as a line, on the high/low of a bar: https://brandonh-ninjatrader.tinytak...Nl8yMTg4MDk1Ng

See the 'Understanding snap mode' section of this help guide for more information: https://ninjatrader.com/support/help..._tools__ob.htm

If you are drawing an object on a chart through code, such as using Draw.Line() in an indicator or strategy, you would simply set the startBarsAgo parameter to the same startY parameter High/Low price you want to draw the line on and set the endY and endBarsAgo parameter to the same bar.

For example:

//draw line from the high price 10 bars ago to the low price of the current bar.
                Draw.Line(this, "tag1", false, 10, High[10], 0, Low[0], Brushes.LimeGreen, DashStyleHelper.Dot, 2);

As we can see above, startBarsAgo is set to 10 and startY is set to the High price 10 bars ago (High[10]), and endBarsAgo is set to 0 and endY is set to the Low price of the current bar (Low[0]).

See this help guide page for more information about Draw.Line(): https://ninjatrader.com/support/help.../draw_line.htm

Comment

Thank you, BrandonH.

I got it to work this time.

If I could add a suggestion for how to improve this it would be great if the line could "auto-fit" by anchoring to the low or high that's being "touched" before finally setting the line.

The way it works now, it will anchor to the bar you start drawing on. Fine.

However, on the end point, it will only anchor if you finish the line (or trend channel) at a specific bar.

In practice, you'll often want to extend the line even further than the preceding bar which may be the anchor bar.

I could draw up a picture if what I meant was not clear.

Thank you.

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Thanks for your notes.

Are you manually drawing the object on the chart?

Or, are you drawing an object on the chart through code in an indicator or strategy, such as using Draw.Line()?

If you are manually drawing the object on the chart, it could only be placed up to the current bar on the chart and there is no option available for modifying the draw object to keep extending as more bars form or for drawing the object past the current bar.

If you are drawing an object on the chart through code, you would need to call Draw.Line() again if your condition is true using the same tag name and extend the line out. See the forum thread linked below for more information on this topic.

Hi, I will draw Line from my indicator and I want to extend the right from indicator on some condition. How to do that ?

Comment

Hello, Brandon,

I'm drawing it manually.

Thank you.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Atlant, Today, 09:23 AM
                      0 responses
                      1 view