Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Labeling Lines with user specified text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labeling Lines with user specified text

Hi,

I need to way to quickly, easily, and with the minimum of fuss, add line labels to my user drawn lines (own line tool). I thought the tag might be the best place to store this. Any suggestions from the NT team as to best do it? Or any examples/known source solutions? Happy to code it myself. Thought I would ask here in case someone has a recommended or 'better' way to achieve this.

Thanks.

Hi pjsmith, thanks for your note.

Our colleague Jim created this drawing tool suite that will label lines in the platform:

This is an expansion of the the NinjaTrader Lines Drawing Tool(s) that adds text boxes to each line that will show prices associated with the endpoint or where the line crosses the price scale. Vertical lines will show time stamps. Your own messages can be added to each text box. New settings can be set […]

Please let me know if you have any questions on this material.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.
    Chris L.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll take a look...

Comment

Hi,

Just some feedback on this tool. I've been testing it this am. It _almost_ does what I want, but with one major fail. Global lines do not show on all charts. For instance, I make extensive (almost exclusive) use of the addon horizontal ray tool. I also customise the line tool to snap to horizontal with use of shft key. Single click after pressing hotkey gets me a price labeled line from point of click, off to the right (an essential tool that is completely missing in NT, btw!). With scope set to 'all charts', like other drawing objects, it appears immediately on my other time frame charts for the same instrument. The 'labeled lines drawing tool', even with option set to 'all chart's, the lines do not appear on the other charts, even if I refresh the chart.I do not know why that is, but it makes a tool that otherwise almost meets my needs (I could customise it for the single click to the right ray, I am sure), to one I cannot use? Perhaps when Jim is next looking at the code, he might look into this - Otherwise, and excellent addition, and something I think should really be part of the standard NT base. Thanks.

Comment

Hi pjsmith, thanks for your reply.

I am able to get the global lines to work. Could you please describe your exact setup so I can try the same thing?

Comment

Hi Chris,

Just for info. I saw there were some relevant updates to this indicator since my original post. I can confirm, that after updating and testing again with same settings ( I still had the indicator installed with a template), it works now. I guess it was related to the way I have my panels setup.

Cheers.

Comment

Hmmm. Looks like I spoke too soon. I spent an hour this AM, cleared out all my old levels and replaced with labeled lines. They were showing on my charts (globally), as they should. Shut down, out for lunch, started back up, and they are all gone. No drawing objects at all, and just the attached errors in the log So sad....
              Last edited by pjsmith; 10-13-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

So, this line tool was going to be so useful, I tried it again. This time, half a dozen likes at a time with shutdown in between, and it's stored and restored them this time. I've no idea why this crazy platform is so temperamental sometimes... Just seems to be the norm for all my NT version over multiple PC's for the last 7 years or whatever! Anyway. I guess, you can ignore my last. No idea why it lost the drawing objects that time. Only thing I can think or is my PC did suspend at some point, which it did not during the latest tests. Other than that, no difference in anything...

Comment

Oh dear, Oh dear... So, I spend a bit of time putting in more lines, shutdown and restart (still not confident in it), and they are not showing globally again (though only some of them!). They are all the same labelled ray. Example below of the 2 NQ charts I run with fill info for an example line. You can see, it is set to global, is present on the one chart, and not on the other. No idea why. No errors at all in the logs... For info, the 2 charts that are no showing all of the lines (they are showing some I input earlier) both have their price series in panel 2. I have some other charts setup normally and they ARE showing the lines. I guess there is still an issue with the paneling...
                  Last edited by pjsmith; 10-13-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

OK, I figured out why they are not showing in my other chart. If you look at the example in the image in the last post, you will see the date is in the past. A ray, by definition, should be projected into the future? In any case, on that particular chart, it shows to the present. On the shorter time frame charts it does not show. However, if I go into the drawing object and edit the date so that it is in the future, it pops up on my other shorter time frame charts. I guess, the rendering is considering the end date of the ray. In my mind, this should not happen. A ray is drawn into the future in perpetuum? It should not stop at an end date. Hope this helps.

Comment

Hello pjsmith, thanks for your reply.

Could you post your workspace file currently in use so I can load the same thing on my installation? That file can be located under Documents\NinjaTrader 8\workspaces and will have the same name as the currently used workspace.

Comment

Hi Chris,

My workspace is, well, complex! You certainly would not be able to load it as it has custom stuff. I will try and make a simple one to reproduce the issue and post it, but it may be the weekend etc., before I can get to it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChrisL View Post
                          Hi pjsmith, thanks for your note.

Our colleague Jim created this drawing tool suite that will label lines in the platform:

This is an expansion of the the NinjaTrader Lines Drawing Tool(s) that adds text boxes to each line that will show prices associated with the endpoint or where the line crosses the price scale. Vertical lines will show time stamps. Your own messages can be added to each text box. New settings can be set […]

Please let me know if you have any questions on this material.

The NinjaTrader Ecosystem website is for educational and informational purposes only and should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell a futures contract or make any other type of investment decision. The add-ons listed on this website are not to be considered a recommendation and it is the reader's responsibility to evaluate any product, service, or company. NinjaTrader Ecosystem LLC is not responsible for the accuracy or content of any product, service or company linked to on this website.

Hi,
                          Would you attach the tool to download it?
                          I try to download the tool from the link, but I never finish the download.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi bmolina1993, thanks for your post.

Sure, I attached the script here. Try clearing out your cache and cookies on your browser, also try a different web browser to download with.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                              I would really like the labeled lines if they would work as global drawing tool to be shown on all charts, but unfortunately, I get an error.
                              Please support, I am using NT8 and I use the latest version of the drawing tool.
                              Thanks and BR,
                              Maexel

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-13_21-53-12.png
Views:	932
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1160225

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM