Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Building project never finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building project never finishes

I updated to the latest version of NT (8.1.2.1), which complained my Visual Studio 2015 was too old, so I upgraded to Visual Studio 2022. I then restarted NT.

Now, when I try to build, it just builds forever and never finishes (the animated build icon on the NinjaScript Editor just runs forever). When I close NT, it finally gives the "Completed building" sound, right as it exits. It's as if it is waiting on something to finish or close before finishing the build. This is my main issue to solve.

I don't know if it is related, but when I click the Visual Studio Icon in NinjaScript Editor, it gives a "Current Solution contains incorrect configurations mappings. It may cause projects to not work correctly." If I open the Configuration Manager, then close it (without any changes), the message goes away.

Configuration Manager within VS looks fine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	1285866

I don't know where to begin to look to get this working again. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by neoikon; 01-10-2024, 01:41 PM.

This is still an issue for me, which is preventing me from doing any development. Anyone have any suggestions?

The only way I can build is to close NT, which allows it to finish the build upon NT exit, then I have to re-open NT. This is not something that I can do long-term.

From looking at the Trace file, it may be getting hung trying to build "NinjaTrader.NinjaScript.AddOns.VendorLicensin g". Is there a new version of this?

EDIT: After I removed the following files. It seemed to have helped my issue. Is the "Vender Licensing" now built into the platform and these are no longer needed?
    \Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\CustomVendorLicensing.cs
    \Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\CustomVendorLicensing.dll
    \Documents\NinjaTrader 8\bin\Custom\AddOns\VendorLicensingModuleNewMenu.cs

EDIT 2: Removing those files briefly helped the issue. Now it's stuck again. Not just "long compile times", but never ending.
    Last edited by neoikon; 01-19-2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Hello neoikon,

Our development is aware of the slow compile times and are currently investigating.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

neoikon They've been investigating this since shortly after the release of 8.1.2.1, almost 2 months ago. I've not seen anyone who has been able to rectify it without downgrading, it's happened to quite a few other users too.

Comment

I'm sure there a lot they had to learn along the way changing to Roslyn with .NET 8. You're not the only one frustrated.

One work around I've found if it absolutely won't compile and it breaks nt8 after restarting. Duplicate the ninjatrader8 folders in both documents and program files, reinstall fresh, replace the program files portion of the program, then all but the bin in the documents folder. Start nt8. Then add everything but indicators and strategies, let it compile, add indicators, let it compile, then strategies, let it compile, and it should work again.

Comment

Is there any update on this? Is this a priority? I currently can no longer develop on the platform, since it never stops building. Once it is stuck in "build forever" mode, then the whole platform becomes unusable.

Because it failed to build, it reverted to some default state and now all my custom indicators are gone... and I cannot re-build.
            Last edited by neoikon; 02-16-2024, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I don't believe so. It's becoming impossible to build upon. The errors listed in the trace file don't seem to make sense as they are coming from a file I haven't touched in a week. I attempted to correct it and its stuck compiling. It all started when I duplicated a strategy last night and renamed it within NS editor, you know, the way they tell you to do when modifying a system file, it's been crashing and virtually unusable all day today as I try to restore the configuration. Literally nothing should have been an issue, yet here I am struggling once again today.

Comment

Hello neoikon,

Our development is working on the issue and this is should be corrected in an upcoming release of NinjaTrader.
                Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ageeholdings, Today, 07:43 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post ageeholdings  
                Started by pibrew, Today, 06:37 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes