Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Historical data requests from Interactive Brokers for NT8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical data requests from Interactive Brokers for NT8

Hello,

I have the problem that NT8 builds charts very slowly when connected to IB as datafeed. Sometimes, the chart even freezes (while bid/ask quotes are shown in NT8 in real-time). I have read that there are also other problems with historical data requests from IB into NT8. So my question is whether I should stop using historical data request and instead choose the option "Record live data as historical" (Tools=>Options=>Market Data=>"Record live data as historical"). If I do this, do I also have to uncheck "Get data from server"?
    I just need intraday data that starts at the US RTH. So I would simply fill in the instrument list in the market analyzer and have NT8 collect real-time data supplied by IB and then use this real-time data as historical. If I click then on an instrument in the instrument list, it would show the chart based on the data collected. Is this correct? What is the downisde of having NT8 collecting rea-time data from IB without historical data requests?

Many thanks for feedback in advance!

Technically I believe you can do it, but keep in mind that IB realtime data is low quality, their feed is aggregated and somewhat incomplete. If you let run a chart with realtime data from IB, and then refresh it with IB historical data after some time, almost all bars will slightly change.

Comment

Hello electronicsnake1,

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you disable 'Get data from server' and enable 'record live data as historical', this will stop retrieving historical data from their servers and populate charts with data that you had recorded and saved to your PC in real-time. If you do this, it's important to understand that only data for instruments that are open in a data receiving window will record and, should you close the window, lose connection, and the instrument be removed or changed on that window, the data will not be recorded during that time.

You can also read more about Interactive Broker's historical data limitations at the following publicly available link;

https://interactivebrokers.github.io...mitations.html

If you decide to keep the historical data functionality on for this provider, you mostly just want to make sure that you are following these limitations in order to avoid throttling. It's important to keep each historical data request under a few thousand bars at the most.

Please let us know if we may assist you any further.
      Zachary S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
      168 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post sidlercom80  
      Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
      3 responses
      0 likes