Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Visual Studio 2022 Hot Reload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Studio 2022 Hot Reload

Hello to the forum,
    I am developing a dll for NT8 and using the new Visual Studio 2022.
    When I change code in Visual Studio, I can't use this change with Hot Reload in NT8.
    I have to -as before- copy the changed dll into the NT8 folder and restart NT8.
    I was hoping to save this process with Hot Reload.
    Is there any experience if the hot reload works with a dll.
    Thanks a lot for the support.

Hello user10,

Thanks for your post.

We support attaching Visual Studio's Debugger. For development purposes with source code, we would suggest saving in Visual Studio with the NinjaScript Editor open, so the NinjaScript Editor automatically compiles the changes. (This is especially important for indicators where a wrapper is applied to create constructors for Strategies and MarketAnalyzerColumns.)

For development purposes making external DLL's, restarting the platform would be necessary, but we can still deploy the DLL to the bin/Custom folder to ease this process. Our AddOn Framework Visual Studio example does this.

As for the Hot Reload feature, my understanding is that you have to launch the application from Visual Studio (not just attach the debugger.) and this would be the major hitch in using that feature with NinjaTrader.

We could start tracking interest behind supporting that Visual Studio feature. Let me know and I will be happy to open a feature request.

If any community members have had different experiences using Visual Studio's Hot Reload feature with NinjaTrader, please feel free to share here.
    JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jim,
      thank you very much for your support.
      I do not understand how to launch the application from Visual Studio.
      Do you mean that I should set NT8 as the startup object? Then which program do I need to call?
      When I call Visual Studio from the editor, Visual Studio 2019 opens.
      How can I change the call to Visual Studio 2022 without having to delete VS 2019?
      I think that this problem also affects other developers, so I suggest to create a feature request.
      Thanks a lot

Comment

Hello user10,

I interpret the use of Hot Reload requires that you are working with the Visual Studio project file for the application. I.E. you would need the source code of the platform in order to do so.

I have submitted a feature request for supporting Hot Reload, the ticket ID is SFT-5390. This is an internal number, but for anyone else wishing to have their interest tracked, please let our support staff know that you would like a vote added for this request.

I am inquiring further about launching Visual Studio 2022 from the NinjaScript Editor. I tested installing Visual Studio 2022 Community Edition, and I see the same behavior when using the Visual Studio button in the NinjaScript Editor.
        Supporting Visual Studio 2022 is being tracked with the internal ID SFT-5391. You may reference the Release Notes page of the Help Guide when there is a new NinjaTrader update to see if support has been added for the Visual Studio button

Feature Request Disclaimer

We receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing. As such we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number will be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jim; 12-06-2021, 02:58 PM.
        JimNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Has there been any progress on supporting Hot Reload?

Comment

Hello Reneli,

Thanks for your notes.

The feature request for supporting Hot Reload (SFT-5390) has not been implemented into the NinjaTrader Desktop platform at this time.

As with all feature requests, interest is tracked before implementation is considered, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment. If implemented, it will be noted on the Release Notes page of the Help Guide.

Release Notes — https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
            Brandon H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
            Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes