Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

NinjaTrader 8.0.23, .Net Framework 4.8 and C# Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please add my vote, although I view NT having the latest C# as more of a nice-to-have than a big deal. As was pointed out back at the start of the thread, you can always use Visual Studio to make a DLL with whatever version of C# makes you happy. I would think that anyone who cares about the latest C# would be comfortable using Visual Studio, and the Community version is free.

I'm not sure whether this thread is C# or .NET -- I feel more strongly that NT should keep up to date with .NET because we have to live with whatever they use.
    Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 04-18-2023, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Hello ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your vote.

I've added your vote to SFT-3124.
      Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks.

I admit to not having read the entirety of this long thread, so perhaps someone else has already made the following observation about the .NET version. It has recently come to my attention that:
        • NT is currently using .NET 4.8
        • Microsoft says that .NET 5.0 is so old that they no longer support it.
        Really? NT is on a version that is even older than a version that Microsoft says is so old they no longer support it? Can't we get NT to update its version a little more rapidly than that?

-- EV

Comment

4.8x is supported 5 was a short term release. 7.X is out but 6 will be supported for longer than 7

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download.

I would like to see an update to 6.X Long Term Support

Comment

Saying '.NET 4.8' it's really '.NET Framework 4.8.1'.

Adding the 'Framework' is critical.
            Because '.NET Core' is not the same thing as '.NET Framework'.

It's even more confusing because what used to be called
            '.NET Core' has been renamed to simply '.NET' -- but
            the prior version numbering of '.NET Core' continues
            under the new moniker '.NET'.

Good reading here and here.
            Last edited by bltdavid; 04-19-2023, 03:58 AM.

Comment

.Net Core is end of support

.Net 4.8 has no listed end date
              .Net 6 is the one we need to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by BartMan View Post
                .Net 6 is the one we need to get to.
                Most likely, as .NET 6 will be retired on Nov 12, 2024, NinjaTrader 8 would not be updated by then as that is only twenty months from now.
                Bruce DeVault
                QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

can we get an update on when the .net versions will be updated. its cool that you are adding features like ability to see from iphones. but the core of this platform is not updated.

Comment

Hello junkone,

We receive many requests and cannot reasonably implement all requested features or changes. Interest is tracked internally and if enough interest is tracked, it would be weighed against how feasible it would be to make those changes to consider implementing, so we cannot offer an ETA or promise of fulfillment.

When new features are implemented, they will be listed in the Release Notes page of the Help Guide. The ID number may be different than the internal feature request tracking ID, but the description of the feature will let you know if that feature has been implemented.

Release Notes - https://ninjatrader.com/support/help...ease_notes.htm
                    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

We a colleague and I are looking to place as much of our libraries into a separate dll. Any method that can exist outside of an indicator or strategy will be in a separate dll. Said dll can use the latest c# features. .NET Framework 4.8 will still be in alignment with NinjaTrader.

Comment

Please add my vote as well… this has kept countless clients from moving to NT and I hope this multi year, much requested feature (more compatibility issue) gets addressed. Honestly it kind of kills my belief in the voting system as I have never seen an issue with so many votes.

Thanks!

Chad
                        chadnash
                        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Nash Technologies

Comment

Add my vote too. VS keeps telling me I need .NET 7 for what t code.

Comment

Hello JGRtrader,

If you are trying to use VS to make something for NinjaTrader you need to select the correct type of project, if you see that it is using a newer version of .net you have selected the wrong type of project. To make a library for NinjaTrader 8 you need to select the following in visual studios new project wizard:

Language: C#
                            Platform: Windows
                            Type: Library

Scroll down the list to find Class Library (.net framework), it should say C# Windows Library below it. There are other Class Library projects in the list for other versions of .net like .net core and standard which will not work with NinjaTrader. Pay careful attention you are selecting the one with (.NET Framework) in the title.
                            JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I start VS with the icon on the NT Editor. I assume I would get a message if my system was not set up correctly for my system. I attached a clip of the Visual Studio about screen.

This happens to me only occasionally, typically when I google for hints, and then I try it and receive a notice something like, this feature required .NET 7 or such. I learn quickly not to try that again. I am OLD (key word) and haven't done much programming for several decades so a lot of what i used to do, does not work in current Object Oriented languages.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VS about .png
Views:	236
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1255890 .

Comment

Do you have Visual C#.NET installed and not just C# Tools? The screenshot makes it look like you're trying to use the C++ compiler, though maybe it doesn't show everything because it's cut off.
                                Bruce DeVault
                                QuantKey Trading Vendor Services
                                NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - QuantKey

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                                3 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rhubear
                                by rhubear