Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Exporting Ninjascript Strategy Archive Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting Ninjascript Strategy Archive Warnings

I`m trying to export compiled assembly of a single ninjascript strategy. After the export is done, ninjatrader warns me that the exported ninjascript archive file can only be imported if the target PC has the following assembl(s)….. System.data, System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization, NinjaTrader.OFA, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.

The additional assemblies are installed in my system, and used by “other” indicators and strategies in my system… But I‘m not calling or using them in the ninjascript strategy that I`m trying the export and share.

IS THIS WARNING correct ?

Does the person that I want to share the exported strategy with, need all the 3rd party DDL that I have installed even though the strategy that I`m sharing Does Not use them.

Originally posted by rayko View Post
    I`m trying to export compiled assembly of a single ninjascript strategy. After the export is done, ninjatrader warns me that the exported ninjascript archive file can only be imported if the target PC has the following assembl(s)….. System.data, System.Windows.Forms.DataVisualization, NinjaTrader.OFA, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.

The additional assemblies are installed in my system, and used by “other” indicators and strategies in my system… But I‘m not calling or using them in the ninjascript strategy that I`m trying the export and share.

IS THIS WARNING correct ?

Does the person that I want to share the exported strategy with, need all the 3rd party DDL that I have installed even though the strategy that I`m sharing Does Not use them.
    The warning is correct.

Whereas it is unsupported(?), you can always delete the AdditionalFiles.txt file from the archive after is it created, so that NT will not attempt to write those references into the configuration on the machine that is importing your archive. As always, with unsupported scenarios, test, then test again. Caveat emptor.

Comment

Thanks Koganam for the clarification and work around. I appreciate it.

Comment

Hello Folks at NT.

To me this is a Flaw in NT7 and should be corrected within the product.

Does NT8 exhibit this same behavior or has it been or will it be corrected in NT8.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the comment.

The Additional references do get added in using NinjaTrader 7 as you have found and is part of the standard export process.

This is not considered a bug or defect as you are warned about this when you export, after the export you have the option of removing any un needed files from the txt that is added. NinjaTrader 7 will remain this way as it was developed this way.

In NinjaTrader 8 there have been improvements in the export processes but I do not have a complete list of changes at this time. Once there is a public beta or when it is released, you could certainly test your exports and report back your findings if anything seems out of place.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
          JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Jesse,

While its true NT7 on the source PC does label the messages as "Warning", the target PC still will Not import the scripts and labels the failure as "Error".

I have tried several ways to edit file "AdditionalReferences.txt" in the package .zip export.
            1. Removed the File from the zip package
            2. Removed lines containing entries not required by the exported script
            3. Removed all lines in the file but left empty "AdditionalReferences.txt" in the zip package

All ended in failure to import to the client target PC.

Bottom line... Unless I un-install all external references not originally setup by NT when it installs itself... all script exports I create will fail for all clients I send them too.

Do you have any other workaround or is there something else that I need to remove or edit from the export zip package.. ?

Comment

Hello,

The additional references is simply adding lines to the config file that specify the extra references, this should not directly cause the import failure.

Have you tried manually importing the assembly to see if it lists an actual error?

You can do this by placing the contents of the zip excluding the AdditionalReferences.txt and the info.xml file in the custom folder.
              Next open a NinjaScript file, right click and click References and then add the DLL file to the list.

This would be followed by a compile of course.

This should say a more specific error rather than it was just unable to import. This could provide clues to exactly what is happening.

In general for NinjaTrader 7 it is recommended to use a clean development environment to export scripts. This just ensures that all end users will be able to successfully import the file and nothing "extra" is included by accident, this would be part of the debug/testing phase.

If you would like assistance in checking what the actual import error reason is, please contact me at platform support @ ninjatrader.com and please put the ticket number: 1354656 in the email.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
              JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by rayko View Post
                Hello Jesse,

While its true NT7 on the source PC does label the messages as "Warning", the target PC still will Not import the scripts and labels the failure as "Error".

I have tried several ways to edit file "AdditionalReferences.txt" in the package .zip export.
                1. Removed the File from the zip package
                2. Removed lines containing entries not required by the exported script
                3. Removed all lines in the file but left empty "AdditionalReferences.txt" in the zip package

All ended in failure to import to the client target PC.

Bottom line... Unless I un-install all external references not originally setup by NT when it installs itself... all script exports I create will fail for all clients I send them too.

Do you have any other workaround or is there something else that I need to remove or edit from the export zip package.. ?
                What is the text of your error message(s)?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                6 responses
                1 like
                Last Post jgualdronc  
                Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Touch-Ups