Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy based on BBS indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy based on BBS indicator

Hi everyone

I'm currently using the BBS indicator that I downloaded here.

I'd like to use it to set up an automated strategy, but how should I do exactly? The BBS indicator returns dots and arrows, not values.

I read this into the code:
    To get BBS dot values use :
    // BBS(2,1.5,20).DotValues.Get(CurrentBar)
    // Possible dot values are '0' for no data, '2' for squeeze alert, '1' for squeeze on, and '-1' for squeeze off

So I guess I should use value 1 for entries and value -1 for exits?
    What about the direction of the trades?

Many thanks in advance

You would need to contact the author and ask him for clarification on the meaning of the values provided.

Comment

I haven't tried it, but I think it would be something like this to place trades where the little green arrows are positioned....

Code:
      if (BBS(2,1.5,20).DotValues[0] == 2)
      {
         if (BBS(2,1.5,20).BarValues[0] < 0)
         {
            // Go long
         }
         else
         {
            // Go short
         }
      }

Comment

Thank you very much, KBJ.

How would you write the code for the exit conditions (two darker bars in a row)?

Many thanks again

Comment

Hi stefy,

A squeeze indicates indecision in the market, so the theory goes that you enter a trade once the squeeze is off (-1 DotValue) in the direction of the bars, or any other indicator you care to use...

Comment

Stefy, Did you ever get this to work? I'm trying to do the same but am confused about how to use an indicator from within a strategy. I have the BBS Squeeze indicator. It's an object, not a method. I thought that I would need to construct an instance of the BBS Squeeze in the strategy Initialize() method and call properties on the squeeze object. But I see from this thread you're using a BBS method. How can that work? Where is this method? Why don't you need to hold the object? Doesn't the object maintain state? See my thread on this matter here: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...479#post116479
            Thanks,
            Tim

Comment

Tim,

All indicators can be called like methods. What state are you trying to maintain?

For instance, take the SMA indicator. To access SMA values just go SMA(20)[0].

For BB Squeeze (this is just my guess as to what this indicator is/does) you could go BBSqueeze(some parameters).SomePlot[0]
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Brillo,

It was some time ago, but I was calling the "Dot Values" in the BBS Squeeze (which can be 0, 1, 2) like this:
                BBS(2,1.5,20).DotValues[0]
                and the BarValues like this:
                BBS(2,1.5,20).BarValues[0]

I hope I answered your question, otherwise feel free to ask for more.

Have a nice day,

Stefy

Originally posted by Brillo View Post
                Stefy, Did you ever get this to work? I'm trying to do the same but am confused about how to use an indicator from within a strategy. I have the BBS Squeeze indicator. It's an object, not a method. I thought that I would need to construct an instance of the BBS Squeeze in the strategy Initialize() method and call properties on the squeeze object. But I see from this thread you're using a BBS method. How can that work? Where is this method? Why don't you need to hold the object? Doesn't the object maintain state? See my thread on this matter here: http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...479#post116479
                Thanks,
                Tim

Comment

Hi Stefy, Thank you. I understand it better now. The NinjaScript generated code at the bottom of the indicator source file adds some methods to the Indicator class that allow you to construct the indicator using function like syntax. That same code binds it to the Input dataseries. There's also an overload to bind it to an arbitrary DataSeries object you pass in.
                  Tim

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by reynoldsn, 05-10-2024, 07:04 PM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post reynoldsn  
                  Started by ETFVoyageur, 05-07-2024, 07:05 PM
                  22 responses
                  0 likes