Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Using Add() Inside a Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Add() Inside a Strategy

I have these global variables in my class,

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]  private IDataSeries MAFunc = null;[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]  private int MAPeriod = 14;
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    Inside my strategy parameters, I ask the user which of several MA indicators they would like to use. Then I use code like this inside Initialize() ...

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]  switch (MAType)[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]  {[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]     case MATypeIs.SMA:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]         MAFunc = SMA(Input, MAPeriod);
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]        break;[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]     case MATypeIs.EMA:[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]         MAFunc = EMA(Input, MAPeriod);[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]         break;
    [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]    etc etc etc[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]  }[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

In OnBarUpdate I like using MAFunc[0] to get the value of the user-specified MA for the most recent bar.

And, I can also use MAFunc to calculate the slope of the MA over the last 8 bars,

Code:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light][SIZE=4]Slope(MAFunc, 8, 0);[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    This all works quite well. MAFunc is a data series that represents whatever MA indicator the user selected in the parameters.

Now comes the effort to make the strategy add the indicator to the chart for display.

Code:

Add(MAFunc);  // <-- adding this code doesn't work

How do I display the indicator represented by MAFunc to the chart?

Welcome to our forums here bltdavid and thanks for the post. Unfortunately we would expect that outcome, since only complete indicators could be Add() for visualization, not elements such as a single data series. As workaround on the regular charts you could look into this technique here - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=6651
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by elirion, Yesterday, 09:32 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post elirion
    by elirion

Started by cre8able, Yesterday, 09:15 PM
    1 response