Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to specify non-integer quantities for order methods such as EnterLong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to specify non-integer quantities for order methods such as EnterLong?

Is there a way to specify non-integers as the quantity parameter for order methods such as EnterLong? I was trying to test a strategy on an index fund that allows this. Thanks!

Hello rocwhite,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

It is not possible to use other variable types other than integers for the quantity in NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
      Hello rocwhite,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

It is not possible to use other variable types other than integers for the quantity in NinjaTrader.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      Hi Patrick, thanks for your answer! Can you please help forward my question as a feature request? I think it will be useful for testing/optimizing strategies in which one invests a constant amount at regular intervals. Currently with constraints for the quantity parameter to be integers, we can calculate the closest integer amount of shares we want to buy, but the total won't be exactly what we plan to invest. I think one can get around this by multiplying the incremental amount of investment by a factor (say 1000) and view the result accordingly, but it's quite inconvenient and it can be hit with overflow problems when you look at a very long time period. Thanks!

Roc

Comment

Originally posted by rocwhite View Post
        Is there a way to specify non-integers as the quantity parameter for order methods such as EnterLong? I was trying to test a strategy on an index fund that allows this. Thanks!
        Fractional shares are allocated by a fund manager who is divvying up a total portfolio amount. You cannot specify the purchase of a fractional number of shares: you specify the amount that you want to invest. In other words, the fractional allocation of shares that you see in your statement is an accounting nicety, not a trade transaction.

You did not buy fractional shares: you were allocated a fractional amount of shares by a fund manager who bought an integer number of shares, and divided them up for the participants. A subtle difference.

Neither you, nor the fund manager can buy anything other than an integer number of shares.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
          Fractional shares are allocated by a fund manager who is divvying up a total portfolio amount. You cannot specify the purchase of a fractional number of shares: you specify the amount that you want to invest. In other words, the fractional allocation of shares that you see in your statement is an accounting nicety, not a trade transaction.

You did not buy fractional shares: you were allocated a fractional amount of shares by a fund manager who bought an integer number of shares, and divided them up for the participants. A subtle difference.

Neither you, nor the fund manager can buy anything other than an integer number of shares.
          That's right. But my question still remains: if I want to model a strategy for an individual who trades a mutual fund, how can I mimic the fractional shares one can get in his real-life account?
          Last edited by rocwhite; 08-18-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rocwhite View Post
            That's right. But my question still remains: if I want to model a strategy for an individual who trades a mutual fund, how can I mimic the fractional shares one can get in his real-life account?
            Fortunately, I have no effect on what NT development will decide, so this is only an opinion, that may well be apropos of nothing.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that NT is designed as a program for traders making real trades. Nobody can actually buy fractional shares, so it seems somewhat pointless to provide a facility that has no counterpart use in real trading. Again, just my personal $0.02.

Comment

Hello rocwhite,

Thank you for your response.

I will forward this suggestion to our development team.

Comment

Hello rocwhite,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our product. It has been inserted into our tracking system with the unique ID # 2519.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by reynoldsn, Today, 07:23 AM
                6 responses
                1 like
                Last Post reynoldsn  
                Started by reynoldsn, Today, 07:26 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post reynoldsn