Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Backtesting data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backtesting data

I am looking to back test my automated strategy with the past 10 years data. I have purchased the data and have the option of downloading 'Pit data', 'Electronic Data' and 'both'. My assumption is that it is more accurate to back test using only the 'Electronic Data' since that is what live automated trading will happen on. Is my assumption correct? Any additional information that will help me take an informed decision will be much appreciated.

Hello,

You're going to have to verify this with the data provider to be sure. My assumption is that the 'Pit data' is based on the "Regular trading hours" (typically 9:30am-4:00pm EST) and the 'Electronic Data' is based on the Electronic trading hours as well (trading time varies per instrument)

For details on importing historical data: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...?importing.htm

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I created a file in the format ES 12-98.Last.txt and tried to upload the data. But I get the message "Unable to import file 'C:\Users\Sandhesh\Desktop\Tick data\ES 12-98.Last.txt'. Instrument is not supported by repository." Tried adding ES 12-98 to the Instrument Manager, but there is no provision to do that.

Comment

Hello,

Does this text file contain all your data or just the data from the 12-98 Contract?

Comment

Backtesting Data

It contains all the data for 1998.

Comment

Backtesting Data

I have actually found out the reason for the error and have fixed. It was to do with the data format. I have now downloaded it in the right format.

I have another question. What should the file name be called if I have to upload data for the last 10 years in one step?

Comment

If you want to load it into a continuous contract, you would want to name it:

ES ##-##.Last.txt

Then you can load it in a chart by opening the ES ##-## symbol.
              MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Backtesting data

I need the data for backtesting rather than pulling it on a chart. should I still go with ES ##-##.Last.txt ?

Comment

I created a file name ES 03-00.Last.txt. The data is in the format:

19991209 060206;1422.25;0

The file contains data for the period 12/9/1999 - 3/17/2000

I get an error "Unable to import file 'C:\Users\Sandhesh\Desktop\Tick data\ES 03-00.Last.txt'. Instrument is not supported by repository"

In the instrument Manager, I have added the following symbols

ES 03-13
                  ES ##-##

The instrument manager does not permit me to add ES 03-00 since that option is not available in the 'Expiry' drop down list.

Please advice

Comment

Hello,

You will have to temporarily change your system clock to a date in the year 2000. (can be done via your clock settings in the bottom right of the taskbar)

Upon doing so, start up NinjaTrader (restart if it is already open) and then add the expiry 03-00 as it will now show in the instrument manager list. Once it has been added to your default list you can re-sync your clock and restart NinjaTrader.

Additionally you shouldn't need the .last extension and will be able to choose the format when importing via the historical data manager.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Sebastian - TwinPeaks, Yesterday, 01:31 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Sebastian - TwinPeaks  
                    Started by wbennettjr, 07-15-2017, 05:07 PM
                    16 responses
                    1 like