Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strange Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Trade

Is this trade possible?

It shows me, that the strategy was buying a Long position in the future and selling it in the past?!

confusing

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	898867

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
    Is this trade possible?

It shows me, that the strategy was buying a Long position in the future and selling it in the past?!

confusing

[ATTACH]23099[/ATTACH]
    That is called a short trade.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
      That is called a short trade.
      Are you joking?

Look at the arrows direction! The entry is named "Long Candle".

Comment

Are you joking?

Look at the arrows direction! The entry is named "Long Candle".
        It shows that a contract was sold at 10:50 and covered (by being bought back) at 11:00. That is the definition of making a short trade: you sell first, then buy it back later to cover. It is perfectly valid to sell the contract before one buys it back. What the arrow is called is of no relevance; only the actions count. The long trade placed at 11:00 covered the earlier short trade, taking the position flat, as a consequence.

It just seems to be hard for many to wrap their mind around the notion of selling something before they have bought it. Hence the many long-only stock operators. In many markets there really is no rule that says one must buy before one can sell.

Think only in terms of when the trades took place; do not try to impose an order that the buy must come first, which is why you are seeing it as "bought in the future and sold in the past", which just serves to confuse the issue, as you are imposing an order in which the buy and sell must take place. The only order is that a transaction takes place, and the opposite transaction takes place later. It does not matter which happens first: buy or sell.
        Last edited by koganam; 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Is this trade possible?

confusing

[ATTACH]23099[/ATTACH]

How did you get those tabs?

Comment

@ sledge: I think it might be a shot of the Strategy Analyzer interface

@ koganam: Initially I thought the same thing (and it was hilarious), but then I realized that the pink arrow is pointing LEFT, indicating that it's a closing trade, and the blue arrow is pointing RIGHT, indicating an opening trade. So it does seem to me that something is off here.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical View Post
              @ sledge: I think it might be a shot of the Strategy Analyzer interface

@ koganam: Initially I thought the same thing (and it was hilarious), but then I realized that the pink arrow is pointing LEFT, indicating that it's a closing trade, and the blue arrow is pointing RIGHT, indicating an opening trade. So it does seem to me that something is off here.
              So he needs to scroll to the right more.... And left.

We probably need to see his strategy, like you mentioned earlier, already sounds like it is in trouble.

Comment

Hello Ludwig,
                To assist you further can you please send a toy NinjaScript code* replicating the behavior to support[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com

Please append Attn:Joydeep in the subject line of the email and give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to assisting you further.

*The "toy" just means something that is a stripped down version that isn't necessarily the whole logic. It makes things easier to rout out.
                JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by JackyP, Today, 06:17 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post JackyP
                by JackyP

Started by rodriguesdanny, 05-15-2024, 12:06 PM
                3 responses