Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Strategy with plot that has N/A values as signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy with plot that has N/A values as signal

hi - not sure if this is the right forum group so apologies in advance if this is the wrong place.

I have developed an indicator with Ninja Script that produces produces two plots - LongSignal and ShortSignal. When these plots have a non N/A value, I have a visual mark on the chart for entries.

Now, I want to use these plots to create an automated strategy. So, basically, whenever the plot is not N/A, I'd like to enter a position.

My questions are:

1. In terms of the relationship between Indicators and Strategies, is this the right approach? I mean, using the plot values in an indicator to generate trade signals in a strategy.

2. Can I create a strategy that has a constraint based on N/A values in the dataseries with the Strategy wizard or is that only possible by coding the strategy with Ninja Script.

thanks in advance for any help you may offer
    Onn

Hi Onn, why would you attempt to access the N/A plots? Because the multipart coloring approach from 6.5 times is used in the signal indicator?

The easier way would be updating the script to NT7's PlotColor approach and then you would only deal with comparisons involving one plot - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...plotcolors.htm
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      Hi Onn, why would you attempt to access the N/A plots? Because the multipart coloring approach from 6.5 times is used in the signal indicator?

The easier way would be updating the script to NT7's PlotColor approach and then you would only deal with comparisons involving one plot - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...plotcolors.htm

Hi and thanks for the response. Perhaps I did not explain myself good enough. I have an indicator. That indicator has logic in it that produces trading signals. I plot these signals on the chart. So for this plot, I have indexes in which the value is not set and indexes where the value is set. Where it is set, it is set to the price at which the signal is displayed on the chart - right?

Now, I want to overlay trading based on these signals. This plot line is "exposed" from the indicator. So I can effectively create a condition that when the value is set, enter a trade. Going back to my original post and questions: 1. Is this the right approach and 2. In the strategy wizard, when I select the plot as my condition, is there a way to create a condition that says: if the plot value is set (i.e., not N/A).

I hope that this is more clear now.

Onn

Comment

You can unfortunately not check for an N/A plot in the wizard Onn, hence my suggestion to change the indicator logic to make it more easily workable in a custom strategy.

Yes, you can generally use the indicator plots to create trading signals, their values are exposed and accessible.
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes, You can use the plot values in an indicator to generate trade signals in a strategy.
          In strategy you can evaluate plot value by ContainsValue(barsAgo). If ContainsValue(barsAgo) return false, the plot value is N/A.

Cheers!

Originally posted by onnb1 View Post
          hi - not sure if this is the right forum group so apologies in advance if this is the wrong place.

I have developed an indicator with Ninja Script that produces produces two plots - LongSignal and ShortSignal. When these plots have a non N/A value, I have a visual mark on the chart for entries.

Now, I want to use these plots to create an automated strategy. So, basically, whenever the plot is not N/A, I'd like to enter a position.

My questions are:

1. In terms of the relationship between Indicators and Strategies, is this the right approach? I mean, using the plot values in an indicator to generate trade signals in a strategy.

2. Can I create a strategy that has a constraint based on N/A values in the dataseries with the Strategy wizard or is that only possible by coding the strategy with Ninja Script.

thanks in advance for any help you may offer
          Onn

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Haiasi, 04-25-2024, 06:53 PM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post alancurry  
          Started by ZeroKuhl, Today, 04:31 PM
          0 responses