Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

v 6.5 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v 6.5 problems

I'm playing with the strategy abilities of NT, and have hit a snag.

This morning I tried to resume my explorations, but the "Strategies" entry in the right click menu was ghosted. The ALT-S shortcut is also non responsive.

Even though my experimental strategy contains no order entry commands (it is a simple MA crossover strategy that draws up and down arrows at the crossovers, nothing else) I saw order entry and exit text on my chart along with some of the up and down arrows.

Closing and restarting NT did not fix.

Restarting my computer did not fix.

Re-installing NT (using the "repair" option) did not fix.

So, I guess my (next to) last option is to remove NT, and then do a fresh install.

(The last option is to find a different program and forget about NT. But NT has plenty of potential, so I am not ready to go there just yet.)

I can't find where you guys store my custom source code. Loosing my source code will not be a big deal, since it is so simple. I can easily reproduce it from memory. Or I can cut and paste from the editor to Notepad, and back.

But I'd really like to know where it is kept, just as a matter of curiosity.

I have saved a few source code files and removed NT (using the program you provide from the Download page).

But when I try to re install NT I get error msg:

'cab file "_1FA7D2FF92403BD6EAFAAF095FEF2E5C" is corrupt'

Several attempts have produced the same result.

???

Comment

Hello,

Regarding the "cabinet" error: please go into your internet options and clear out your browser history and temp files etc.

Regarding installation: please send us an email via help>mail to support so we can give you full instructions on how to do this.
      DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
        Hello,

Regarding the "cabinet" error: please go into your internet options and clear out your browser history and temp files etc.
        removing history and temp files did not fix

Regarding installation: please send us an email via help>mail to support so we can give you full instructions on how to do this.
        I no longer have NT installed on my system (remember?) So this option is not available to me. (But I did go back to the home page and find the link to tech support)

Are you suggesting that the instructions for installing that come with the installer are not accurate/complete? It worked fine the first time I used it.
        Last edited by gamemaster; 02-27-2010, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Hello,

Our standard reply to a cabinet error is this:
          Please follow the instructions below to accomplish a successful download of the NinjaTrader application.
          • Within your web browser (Internet Explorer for most users) select the menu Tools > Internet Options
          • Delete your browsing history
          • Attempt the download again
          If the above does not work then try:
          • Repeat above instructions
          • Use a different browser such as Firefox and attempt to download
          Does that help at all?

For installation, I do not know what instructions you are referring to so I can't say. The instructions I want to give you require you to delete NT files that may be on your computer that you are not away of. Please email us so I can help you better.

Comment

Ben,

Thanks for your assistance.

I've run through the instructions you emailed to me many times in the last day or so, and have used a number of variations (such as downloading the installer on another computer and sneaker-netting it to my trading computer, or using one of the older versions available at your download page).

Nothing has worked so far.

===

It is never possible to say absolutely, under all conditions, that a certain thing is impossible. Never the less, I think it is obvious that:

1) This cab file in your download package is not corrupted
            If this were not the case you would be hearing from other users trying to install or re-install the product.

2) This cab file does not exist on my computer.
            I have gone on numerous search and destroy missions lately. It is of course possible that I have missed a copy somewhere, but ...

The most likely answer is that something is tricking your installer into believing that this file is corrupted.

QUESTION) What if your installer behaved differently in this situation? Suppose it went back to your server and downloaded a fresh copy of this (or any other) suspected file, instead of just giving up?

Regards,
            LB

Comment

Hello,

So you have received and followed the complete re-install instructions I sent you via email?

If not, please email me and I will resend the instructions. Following these instructions exactly are vital.

If so, lets try some other things. I don't know what is wrong, but it local on your computer. Our support beyond the platform is limited as we are not computer experts. However I have some things you can try:

Completely uninstall NT and try repairing your .NET via this link:

Completely uninstall NT and try repairing your Jet data base:
              Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

If those do not work, email us again and lets set up a remote connection to you PC so we can take a look directly.

Comment

Ben,

NT is already as completely uninstalled as I can make it. But there is obviously SOMEthing left over.

I will spend a little more time looking for any evidence of NT (other than references to the user forum of course) and then try these repair links.

Thanks.

LB

Comment

Ben,

On a hunch, I decided to crank up regedit and look around before trying your repair links.

For a program that has been uninstalled using the Official NT Uninstaller (before uninstalling, your downloader offers the option of "repair?" or "uninstall?"), there were a LOT of references to NT (not counting references to the forum or to the text copies I made of my custom code).

Any way, I cautiously examined each one and deleted about a dozen entries, mostly pointing to the non-existent folder where NT had originally been installed. Some entries suggested that Windows should think of the NT executable as still being active.

I rebooted, ran the installer, and it worked.

Now I'm going to run it an see if my original problem (the loss of the "Strategy" menu entry) has been fixed.

QUESTION) Should I have used the Uninstall function that Windows provides in the control panel instead of relying on your uninstaller?

LB

Comment

Originally posted by gamemaster View Post

QUESTION) Should I have used the Uninstall function that Windows provides in the control panel instead of relying on your uninstaller?
                    >>We don't have an "uninstaller", and you should NOT use Windows program uninstaller to uninstall NT.

If you ever need to uninstall NT, please email us from help>mail to support and we will provide special instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post
                      >>We don't have an "uninstaller",
                      Uh, Ben - Are you serious?

The attached screen shot is what an existing customer sees when we invoke the Download feature from your website. (We have to enter our product key.)

I used the "Repair" option first, but it did not fix my missing menu item problem. Then I used the "Remove" option. It removed NT from my computer, but left a lot of stuff in the registry. That stuff seems to have been what was fooling your installer later, when I got all of those false "corrupted file" messages.

Hmmm. I guess there a two possibilities here:
                      • You are trying to pull my leg
                      • Your boss is trying to pull your leg

Nice try, Ben ;-), but I figured it out.

Regards,
                      LB
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by jbays87, Today, 09:46 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post jbays87
                      by jbays87