Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Daily Strategy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Strategy?

I am back testing a daily strategy against multiple instruments to see what instruments I need to trade against tomorrow. I am only interested in trading daily bars. That is I want to do my analysis in the evening and in the morning be for I head off to my day job place my limit orders and see how they did in the evening after the market closed. What I am doing does not seem like it is going to work and I am not sure what I need to do differently. My issue is:
    I run a back test on a stock. I add a print statement to the OnBarUpdate method:

protectedoverridevoid OnBarUpdate() {
    Print(Time[0].Date.ToShortDateString());

The last bar on the chart is 7/1/2009

My output reads:
    Initialize
    Initialize
    6/26/2009
    6/29/2009
    6/30/2009

I originally thought since I have the 7/1/2009 data and since I can see the bar on the chart that the OnBarUpdate event would have fired, but I guess that is not the case.

How do I get around this?
    Multiple time frames Add(PeriodType.Minute, 60)???
    I basically need to know what Instruments I need to open strategies for in the morning so I can trade them.

Thanks,
    Erik

Erik,

This happens because NinjaTrader does not close a bar until the opening of the next bar. That means you do not receive a 7/1 OnBarUpdate event until 7/2 comes along.

You can try adding that intraday granularity to get the prices for that last bar.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When I connect to my MB Trading Demo account and run a back test against a simple strategy if I try to use Type = Minute instead of Type=daily I don't see any bars and my print statement below does not print anything? I am using Yahoo as the backup. Is there any way using my MB Trading demo account to get minute bars? I wrote a C# app using their api and I can see historical minute data so I thought this would be possible?

Thanks,
      Erik

Comment

Please see this article: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...HistoricalData

Historical minute is not supported on MBT.

Comment

MB Trading Adapter
          - Added support for MBT historical data
          - Added option to drive streaming level 1 data from either snap shot data or time & sales data
          - Fixed issue where redundant execution events were thrown after recovery on a loss of connection

Does this mean minute data will be available in NT 7?

Thanks,
          Erik

Comment

Sure does.

Comment

Josh,

I have another question on this subject.

If I do the following:
              1. Connect to my data source and run a strategy up to current day (7/8/2009).
              2. Disconnect from my data source (using historical data on my hard-drive now).
              3. Create a file for say INTC that looks something like this (mock data for tomorrows bar - I really do not care about it at this point):
              20090709;2.00;3.00;1.00;2.10;200
              4. Import it (now I can run my historical test to see if I want to Trade INTC tomorrow based on how OnBarUpdate handles 7/8/2009's data).

Question: The next day (evening of 7/9/2009) when I repeat the process the historical data added in step 3 above will be overwritten by step 1 above. Is this correct? Will messing with the historical data like this cause problems with the software?

Thanks,
              Erik

Comment

If you want it to overwrite the data you import just tell NinjaTrader to reload historical data and it will load whatever it has again. If you want to start a day fresh, you can delete data for the day you do not want.

Comment

Josh,

What do you mean by until 7/2 comes along? I am trading daily bars with calculate on close = true, so will 7/1 OnBarUpdate fire the morning of 7/2 or end of day 7/2 when the 7/2 bar paints on my chart.

Thanks,
                  Erik

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Josh View Post
                  Erik,

This happens because NinjaTrader does not close a bar until the opening of the next bar. That means you do not receive a 7/1 OnBarUpdate event until 7/2 comes along.

You can try adding that intraday granularity to get the prices for that last bar.

Comment

7/1 bar does not close till 7/2 bar begins. No OnBarUpdate() is received till the bar closes.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by algospoke, Today, 06:53 PM
                    0 responses
                    1 view
                    0 likes
                    Last Post algospoke  
                    Started by mlprice12, 12-21-2021, 04:55 PM
                    3 responses