Announcement

Collapse

Looking for a User App or Add-On built by the NinjaTrader community?

Visit NinjaTrader EcoSystem and our free User App Share!

Have a question for the NinjaScript developer community? Open a new thread in our NinjaScript File Sharing Discussion Forum!
See more
See less

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Stop Loss overrides Trail Stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Loss overrides Trail Stop?

I am using the wizard and setting both a Stop Loss and a Trailing Stop in the Stops and Targets portion of the wizard. Whenever a Stop Loss is present, the Trailing Stop does not trigger, regardless of the percentages used or price action. If I enter only a Trailing Stop, it functions as expected. Please help me understand this behavior.

My intent is to use a tighter stop for the entry, and leave the trailing stop a little more loose.

Thanks, Kris

KrisS, this is unfortunately expected, as you can't use SetStopLoss and SetTrailStop concurrently on the same position. As a workaround you can code your own trail stop logic outside of the wizard, here's a reference sample providing the basics - http://www.ninjatrader-support2.com/...ead.php?t=3222
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NT,

Is there a logical reason for not allowing this, or is this simply a software limitation? If a software limitation, is this an expected enhancement for NT7? (sorry, you must get tired of people pressing you as such)

Unfortunately it is a big jump for me to go from wizard to learning C# in order to properly protect my capital. Trading in iteself has a significant learning curve and I was hoping to avoid C#, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Comment

KrisS, in NinjaTrader 6.5 this is expected, as you run into the 'Internal Order Handling Rules' with this - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview36.html (check the last section of this link)

In NinjaTrader 7 some more flexibility will be introduced with the new 'Unmanaged Order Submission' features as outlined here - http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/NT7/NinjaTrader7.html
        BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by KrisS View Post
          NT,

Is there a logical reason for not allowing this, or is this simply a software limitation? If a software limitation, is this an expected enhancement for NT7? (sorry, you must get tired of people pressing you as such)

Unfortunately it is a big jump for me to go from wizard to learning C# in order to properly protect my capital. Trading in iteself has a significant learning curve and I was hoping to avoid C#, but I may have to bite the bullet.
          Kris,

Welcome to the club. I decided if I wanted to use NT, I would have to learn C#. That was a year ago. I do ok programming with it now.

Use existing indicator and strategy code and break it down until it makes sense.

Good Luck,

RJay
          RJay
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by ETFVoyageur, Today, 05:50 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post ETFVoyageur