Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to plot daily futures charts?

I have a few very basic questions regarding charting and symbols:
    1) I'd like to create a daily futures chart but haven't been able to do so. I created a custom continuous series but it will only plot in ticks or minutes, not daily. What am I doing wrong? Also, is there a symbol such as an @ or # sign that I can use to plot a series of futures contracts on a daily chart?

2) I'd like to plot the NYMEX benchmark crude oil contract, both full-size and mini but the symbols are no longer in NinjaTrader. There's no QM, CL, WS or other crude oil contract but they were there a few weeks ago. How do I get them back?

-Lou

To plot a continuous daily chart just choose chart type daily and then use the ##-## for your expiry.

You would need to go to your Instrument Manager and ensure they are in there. If you want them on your default list you will need to add them to your list. If they are not in your available instruments at all you will need to add them. If you try a reset of your database you will get all the default NinjaTrader instruments back, but you will lose all your customizations or other things you have done.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh,
      1) I've tried plotting futures just as you've said but I'm only getting a single bar for the current day. Also, I've tried reloading the chart data but that hasn't worked.

Strangely, I can plot 1440 min charts (1 day = 60 min x 24 hrs) to get a daily chart - though it makes for a pretty ugly chart.

Again, I haven't been able to plot any futures contract on a daily chart and I definitely need to resolve this. Do you have any other suggestions?

2) The missing instruments aren't in my Instrument Manager so I guess I'll have to reload the instruments.

-Lou
      Last edited by bluelou; 07-28-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

On 1): Are you on ZenFire which does not supported historical daily data, only historical intraday data?

Comment

No, TTFIX right now. But, I plan on adding IQFeed in the next week or two. Also, I added to my previous post that I can plot 1440 minute bars (i.e., 1 day indirectly) but not daily bars. I need daily bars.

Comment

Same issue there. You would need to get your daily bars e.g. from IQFeed.

Comment

Okay, thx. I didn't know that.

Comment

You could set your bars to 1440 minutes. That will give you a daily chart for data providers who don't have daily data available. Of course the bars will include 24 hrs. of data, and not just the day session.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes