Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore Historical data from backup

Hello,

I created a backup (DataBase (trades), Historical Chart Data and Market Replay data). I plan to restore it on a different PC. The new PC already has some of the same data (tick data and replay data). Will it be Ok when data will merge via restore or do I need to delete all data from new PC first?

Thanks,
    redduke

A backup file does not 'merge' information when restoring. A backup file will overwrite all information with the information in the backup file.

Comment

Fantastic. Thank you. Just wanted to make sure all will work with new PC already having some of the same data.

Comment

The restore turned out to be tricky. Once I restored back up, I verified that all data (3 years) was migrated, but the charts would not paint it. The charts just kept painting last year (as it was before backup and restore). I tried few things, including repair DB, but nothing seemed to work.

Then I read about cache folder inside db folder. I deleted it, and charts started to paint only last 180 days. I use Kinetick and range based bars, so I need tick data. Kinetick tick data goes back 180 days. So, I have the data, but the charts would not paint it.

Then I copied db->cache from old PC to new PC, and the charts finally painted 3 years of data that I have. But the issue is that only the range size bars that I painted on the old machine now displayed on new machine for 3 years. If I try to enter any new range bars size, only 180 days are painted. Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you

Comment

NinjaTrader chooses to load historical data based on a few parameters. I would first suggest reading over this section in the help guide to better understand how the platform handles historical data:

Please re-restore from your backup file, shut down NinjaTrader, delete your cache, start NinjaTrader with a blank workspace (safe mode), then download the most recent tick data manually which you do not have within the backup file, then open your workspace and test.

1.) To import, first disconnect from any active connections and go to Tools > Import > Backup file.

2.) Shut down NinjaTrader and delete your cache:
          • Open the Documents > NinjaTrader 8 > db folder.
          • Delete the sub-folder named 'cache'.

3.) Start in safe mode:
          • Hold the CONTROL key and double click the NinjaTrader icon.
          • Keep the CONTROL key held down until you see the Control Center.
          • You can verify you are in safe mode by going to Help -> About
          • Do not open any charts or other windows at this time.

4.) Connect to your data provider and manually download the historical data needed to fill in recent gaps from the historical data manager:

5.) Open a chart and test. If this works without issue, restart NinjaTrader so your workspaces will load and test.

Comment

Hi Patrick,

The issue is that Kinetick only gives 180 days of historical tick data, and this data always loads fine. But over last few years I collected almost 3 years worth of tick data and want to display it on the chart.

I will try safe mode and new work space. I have not tries these options before.

Thanks,
            redduke

Comment

Please follow all of my steps precisely and let me know the results.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by gravdigaz6, Today, 11:40 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post gravdigaz6  
              Started by MarianApalaghiei, Today, 10:49 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred