Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke it !!

Hi

I reset my Sim account with the "Clear History" check box not ticked. This was done quickly. I then reset it again with the check box ticked. After 15 minutes, is was still busy and I left the computer on over night. This morning, it had completed the operation.

I closed Ninja and restarted the computer. Now, I cannot get Ninja to even open. See attached files. Please help.

I do had a complete back up mad within the last week, but I cannot restore this as Ninja will not open.

Regards

Allan
    Attached Files

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

This error appears when the database has grown to a size too large to be used. Renaming the database would cause NinjaTrader to create a new database upon the next subsequent restart. You can rename your database by following the steps below.

-Shutdown NinjaTrader and Go to the Start Menu
    -Select My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> DB--> NinjaTrader.SDF.
    -Right click on NinjaTrader.SDF and select "Rename." *Name it "OLDNinjaTrader.SDF."
    -Then restart the software and NinjaTrader will create a fresh database file to use

Unfortunately the following items stored in the old database will be lost

-ATM Strategy templates, Session templates, Instrument Lists / Custom Instruments, historical trade execution data, saved Strategy Analyzer backtest results

To prevent running into situations where you can potentially lose important data, we advise to run regular backups via our inbuilt backup feature in NinjaTrader.

Drew O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Drew

Many thanks for the help and the quick reply

Regards

Allan

Comment

So after 7 months you've exceeded database requirements? Too much historical data?
        Are you running out of disk space on c:\ ? Is this a laptop? Is your hidden hibernate file consuming too much space?

My NT7 replay data backup is 20GB for 3 years of ES data.

Comment

Hi Sledge

No..not too much data. I don't know what happened there. It is not a laptop. 7 months ago, I cleared all historical data as I did not need it and it was making huge backup files which were also taking a long time. All I did was reset the Sim account and had the Clear History box ticked. The wheels then fell off.

Fortunately all is sorted out now.

Regards

Allan

Comment

For clarification - historical data and the database are two different things.

Historical data is contained within sub-folders of the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > db folder. The database file itself is within the db folder and named 'NinjaTrader.sdf'.

The majority of the database's file size is historical trade information. If the reset process takes a long time, this means the database file may be large and 'disorganized'.

It is expected that the platform would appear 'frozen' and 'unresponsive' while the reset completes. The 'reset sim' most likely would have completed eventually, however, this is a subjective amount of time based on the state of your database file, the size of your database file, and the capabilities of your PC.

A work-around for the wait time on the reset is to rename your database.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
            12 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Leafcutter  
            Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post AveryFlynn