Charts not updating after a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts not updating after a while

Hi, I'm having some trouble keeping a chart updating. After a while, it goes to sleep.
    The orders tab in the Control Centre is alive and well, showing tick by tick data. I can also create a new chart on the same market and it is active.
    Interestingly, if I click on the sleepy chart, or even just tap any key on the keyboard, the chart updates once to the current point, then goes to sleep again.

Methinks its some kind of process scheduling dilemma. Needless to say, this is difficult to trade with.
    Hope you guys can track down why this might be so. I have taken off all indicators that were on it, and it still was asleep. I've restarted a few times, made new charts etc. Problem is still with me.
    6.5.1000.4 on Vista.

saltminer

I'm on a loss. We don't have any related reports where charts fall asleep and get active again after clicking on it.

Guessing:
    - do you have some power saver or such on?
    - which Vista edition is this?
    - is this 32bit or 64bit Vista?

Comment

I'm on a laptop, so I suppose anything could be going on with the CPU. I am not aware of any settings overtly powersaving though. In any case, why would one part of Ninja be alive and well while another was asleep if it was a CPU power-cycling feature? Surely everything would get sluggish simultaneously?

I am running 32bit Vista Home Premium, completely up to date re Automatic Updates from Microsoft. I am running in Parallels on a Macbook. It might be tempting to blame that "non-standard" setup, but I can't see how that would effect only one chart's alertness.

saltminer

Comment

>> I am running in Parallels on a Macbook
        This likely is the problem. Users experienced issues on that configuration. For some reason parallels does not trigger "repaints" on the chart in question as advised by NT (guessing: "optimization" of the underlying parallels virtual machine?!?).

- may be there is a setting available in Parallels which would turn off this "optimization"
        - please try on a native XP or Vista installation.

Comment

I just had the same problem

Started this morning. I've only been using NT for a few days but it's been on for hours daily and never had this happen.

For some reason both charts on my screen froze and wouldn't show updated prices, the Market Analyzer keeps up to date fine but no symbol would update on the charts, regardless of datafeed selected, restarting NT or rebooting the machine. Clicking on the charts didn't help. I saved the templates for both charts and created new ones and that seems to work fine now.

Incidentally, I'm also on a Macbook (Pro) but running Windows XP via Bootcamp. It's of course possible but I would be surprised if that's the cause. QuoteTracker, TradeStation, IB TWS and various other trading bits and pieces s/w have all been working fine for a year now on this configuration.

Comment

>> Clicking on the charts didn't help.
            Would minimizing and restoring the chart update it?

Comment

I did not try it at the time and currently it's running ok. I'll give it a try and let you know if it happens again.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
              >> Clicking on the charts didn't help.
              Would minimizing and restoring the chart update it?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by lorem, Today, 09:18 AM
              1 response
              0 likes
              Last Post lorem