Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

I'm considering using IQFeed: Are NT users still having problems w/this feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm considering using IQFeed: Are NT users still having problems w/this feed?

I'm looking to add a datafeed and I've been looking at IQFeed. I thought they had a good reputation but from what I'm reading on the NT forum NT users have had some problems w/historical data, continuous contracts, etc.

Are NT users still having problems with IQFeed? Are these problems worse than any of the other data providers?

If not IQFeed is there another provider out there that is demonstrably better?

Thanks,
    BlueLou

BlueLou,
    I'm new to this but I still have issues to be resolved with NT and IQ for example today the 8th there was a gap in my chart (no data) for the 7th in the es. I tried to reformat but the chart never filled in. It had been working well for the past few weeks. I had just created a new workspace and maybe that affected it. I have not had time to speak to someone at IQ yet. The IQ staff is very helpful. The other problem I was having was that NT would request data and then something would hang the system up. I have not had this problem for awhile but I have not been doing a lot of switching instruments and that was when it seemed to crash. The data itself is good - no misprints that I have run across on my charts. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by Magnet Man; 07-09-2008, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Update:
      After posting I restarted NT and tried to see if I could get the missing data on my chart. I was successful but only after 3 restarts of NT and also being very patient waiting for the requested data. The message that comes up when I shut down NT is some type of error message: "NinjaTrader has detected a problem and needs to shut down Information has been (something) to the trace file. Please restart NinjaTrader and send us an email via Help > mail support and include information on how you (something) problem. The email will automatically embed relevant trace file information to help us diagnose the problem." This message has come up before but it is too quick for me to read. I took a photo of the screen with my phone and will now send the email NT is requesting.

Comment

Got the word back from the trace files I e-mailed to NT. NT says it's probably my computer. I have a p3 not a p4. Who knew? I went out and thought I was getting a great computer for trading and it does not meet NT's minimums. I just bought this brand new computer it's an IMB ThinkPad with the Centrino 2 Duo CPU. Nice machine too. How I long for the simpler days when you knew what you where getting by the number of the chip. Now you can not tell from the names intel calls their chips what your exactly getting. Caveat emptor... Anyone want a nice computer for their kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Magnet Man View Post
          IMB ThinkPad with the Centrino 2 Duo CPU.
          Hmm.... Sounds like a case of mistaken identity.

While not a speed demon, a Centrino 2 Duo would be a lot faster than either a P3 or a P4. What exact Thinkpad model do you have? (Look at the Serial number on the bottom.. )

In particular, how much memory (RAM) does it have.

I have a couple older thinkpads and NT works fine.
          It's much better on my desktop machine, but the thinkpads can certanlt work a few charts or more.

Comment

Zoltran,
            Thanks. I appreciate your input. I am not a computer guy.
            My ThinkPad is a lenovo TS T61 T8100 and it has 3GB of RAM which was an upgrade but now I think it is maxed out. The CPUs are 2.1 GHz. No extra software is on it. It came with Windows XP and some programs. I added NT 6.5 and McAfee and a verizon wireless card. I want to keep it clean.
            After posting I thought to reboot the computer and not have it plugged into the 22" Samsung monitor I use when I'm at home. The charts came up without the data gap.
            My mistake the front contract came up with no gaps but when I go to continuous then the gap appears. The gap is the previous day on any minute time frame of the continuous contract.
            Just now using the RELOAD HISTORICAL DATA on the chart I was able to get the continuous minute time frame chart to load with no gap.
            Last edited by Magnet Man; 07-10-2008, 11:55 PM.

Comment

A T61 with an T8100 and 3Gig of ram is in the top tier of laptop CPUs.

I don't want to second-guess support, but your problem is not due to speed or ram. You need to reopen your case.. something else is wrong.

Don't get confused with the 'Centrino' nomenclature ...
              Many years ago it was used for Intels low end chips and many people still think of it that way.. it had a real bad reputation.

Intel recycled the name and is now using to describe their high end laptop chipset family. It includes the whole bundle of wireless,cpu, low-power consumption etc.

Which is a good thing, but a lowsy marketing. Sort of like Ford using the name 'Pinto' for their new high end lucury car.

Comment

Thanks I did not think the computer was junk but it is in the family of p3 and not p4 as tech support says. Could the architecture of the chip make that much difference?

Comment

It is NOT a P3 or a P4.

It's a core2Duo .. That's a topline CPU that is several generations beyond either the P3 or P4. You can't get any more current than that.

Don't know who told you otherwise, but they are wrong.

Comment

Sorry Zoltran. Like I said before I am not a computer guy. I assumed NT tech support was correct when they said I had a P3. They saw the trace files I sent. My research did not help me to understand this any better.
                    This link at intel shows the architecture as 45nm.

From Intel "Intel® 45nm high-k metal gate silicon technology is the next-generation Intel® Core™ microarchitecture. With roughly twice the density of Intel® 65nm technology, Intel's 45nm packs about double the number of transistors into the same silicon space."
                    It is just amazing how small the transistors are getting!
                    Thanks again Zoltran.

Comment

MagnetMan,
                      Thx for your reply. I'm probably going to use IQFeed w/ TTFIX as a backup. After looking at many feeds and platforms I think NT and IQFeed or something similar is about the best I can do at the retail level.

My greater concern now is NT's memory usage. For example, contrasting the BarsSinceEntry method in NT versus OpenQuant, the NT version of this method appears to use 650% more memory than the OQ version.

Since I've re-coded my strategy and trading algs for both NT and OQ I think I'll go with NT for a few months. But, by the end of the year I'll probably end up w/OQ using the NxCore datafeed and an SQL database. I'm already talking to some NxCore developers regarding this.

-Lou

Comment

Lou,
                        Best of luck with you system. My problems for the moment seem to be handled.
                        MM

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by PaulMohn, Today, 12:36 PM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post PaulMohn  
                        Started by Conceptzx, 10-11-2022, 06:38 AM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes