Need help understanding order quantities/profit in backtest. [Forex]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help understanding order quantities/profit in backtest. [Forex]

I'm very confused at the moment, so please bear with me if this is something really obvious that I'm missing.

This seems to be happening on all currency pairs, but I will just use USDCAD as an example.

When I place a live (non-backtest) order for USDCAD for 25000 units, I calculate the pip value to be right about ~$1.95. I just checked another trading platform to make sure, and it also gives the pip value for 25000 units USDCAD to be $1.95.

However, when running a backtest, an order quantity of 25000 USDCAD gives a value of $2.50/pip. Similarly, an order quantity of 30000 becomes $3.00/pip.

Now, one of these is not right. I am inclined to believe the backtest is giving the incorrect values.

Surely I am misinterpreting the order quantities or something along the way. Regardless of what is going wrong, I am very very confused! Could someone please explain why there is this discrepancy in profit?

I've only just noticed this as well, meaning all of the backtests I have run so far have been giving me wrong profit values??

Hello,

Thank you for the question.

To better understand what you are seeing, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the values you are basing the calculation on and provide the calculation you are using?

I would like to see the difference you are to see if I can notice anything obvious about the different tests. Backtests will ultimately perform differently than real time so it is certainly possible this is part of the difference you are seeing.

I look forward to being of further assistance.
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
    14 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post aligator  
    Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
    6 responses
    0 likes