Interactive Brokers Order Rejected: Request For Market Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interactive Brokers Order Rejected: Request For Market Data

I had a rather upsetting experience today where I discovered at the end of the trading day that I had an extra ER2 position open long that had occurred because of a double fill. More upsetting was that this was the first day automating with my IRA account and this was where the error occurred.

Here's my situation:

1) Sending orders from tradestation to ninjatrader to IB.
    2) IB IRA account DOES NOT have market data subscribed.
    3) In NT ATI Tradestation tab, I have the checkbox checked that says "send market order if stop order was rejected".
    4) Received the following error message in NT right at time order should have been filled:

5) Then a little while later, (I was confused), I received a message I didn't quite understand at the time that said "It's been 20 seconds since NT filled an order but Tradestation has not confirmed the order" or something like that.

6) Basically what happened was that even though NT said the order was rejected, the stop order actually filled at IB. I think this may be because IB allows you to submit (buy) stop orders below the current market price and (sell) stop orders above the current market price, and they turn these into market orders on their servers.

7) Simultaneously, since I had the checkbox checked in NT, a market order was submitted to buy. Thus, the double fill.

8) At end of day I figured out I still had a losing ER2 contract open.

How do you suggest I prevent these double fill situations while using my IRA account that doesn't have market data? (I'm not even sure the market data issue is part of the problem.)

Should I uncheck the submit market order if stop order was rejected checkbox?

Also, any idea why I got this rejected order message but IB still filled me?

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by geoMEAN; 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM. Reason: add info

Please review this link on your stop order handling options:

Also the rejection error would have come from IB so you may want to ask them how to avoid this, and that might lead you to the right stop order option as well.
    JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jessica,

Thank you for your response. I have read the stop order handling options and am aware of the effect of various settings.

Now that I think about it, I think this error is generated when you try to submit a market order or certain other types of orders when your IB account doesn't have subscribed market data. It's some popup warning that says

"Are you sure you want to submit this order even though you can't see the market data for this symbol?"

It would be nice if NT somehow handled this popup and just pressed OK for me instead of it having unexcepted results.

I have resubscribed my futures market data for my IRA (10 bucks a month if I don't trade enough) just so i can avoid this double fill possibility.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post ghoul
        by ghoul

Started by jeronymite, 04-12-2024, 04:26 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes