New Strategy set up - default instrument choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Strategy set up - default instrument choice

I'd like to know if possible how Ninja decides what the default instrument is, when on the Strategies tab in the Control Center and right clicking to add "New Strategy". It seems to randomly change as I roll contracts or add or remove things, and it's frustrating to not be able to set a default myself, or figure out the logic. It's obviously NOT random given that it is software, so I'm hoping someone can tell me how it decides which instrument to display there. For example, I have about 30 CL algos that I need to roll over to the 11-15 contract this weekend for trading next week, but the default instrument shown is NG 10-15 in my New Strategy window. The only way I know to get it to default to the contract I actually want (CL 11-15) is to remove every other instrument in the list except CL, so it has no choice -- but this is also a pain because not only do I have to remove every other instrument from my default list (I use a lot of instruments), but then add them back in again when I'm done.

Long story short, is there some way I can fiddle with the instrument list in order to get the instrument I want to display as the default in the New Strategy window, or am I stuck either A) removing every other instrument and re-adding them when done, or B) having to use the drop down menu every time and scroll around for the instrument I actually want?

Hello LightWeight,

Thank you for your note.

Select the instrument you would like to have as the default, then right click in the parameters of the New Strategy window and select 'Set Default For YourStrategyName'.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
      Hello LightWeight,

Thank you for your note.

Select the instrument you would like to have as the default, then right click in the parameters of the New Strategy window and select 'Set Default For YourStrategyName'.
      Actually that does not work, I wish it was that easy. That saves every setting as the default EXCEPT for the instrument.

Comment

Hello LightWeight,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not aware of a way to set the instrument as a default in your strategy.

Your option "A" sounds tedious. Option "B" sounds less tedious.

Another option would be to create an instrument list of one instrument.
        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
          Hello LightWeight,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not aware of a way to set the instrument as a default in your strategy.

Your option "A" sounds tedious. Option "B" sounds less tedious.

Another option would be to create an instrument list of one instrument.
          Yeah I know from past discussion that there isn't a way to save it as the default. That's why I'm asking how Ninja decides what to use as the default, because there IS an instrument in there when I open the window, it's just rarely ever the one I want. And it does change as I add and remove instruments. That's why I'm trying to figure out it anyone knows the process Ninja uses to decide which one to display as the default, because if I understand that maybe I can jury rig it to actually display the one I want in the first place. Like I said it's not a random process, Ninja is following some code to pick it, and if I know that it may be a solution. If not then I'm stick with options A and B still.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

To directly answer your question, the list is made up in the order that the instruments are added to it. When you rollover an instrument it will remove the old and add the new one to the bottom of the list.

Did you give consideration to creating a list of one instrument? Would that not suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
              Hello,

Thanks for your post.

To directly answer your question, the list is made up in the order that the instruments are added to it. When you rollover an instrument it will remove the old and add the new one to the bottom of the list.

Did you give consideration to creating a list of one instrument? Would that not suffice?
              I've tried doing that but it actually takes about as long as just using the default drop down list, in terms of clicking around and what not.

I may just have to play with adding and removing instruments until I can figure out how ninja chooses the default to display, or just living with it I guess. Would have been really nice if Ninja just saved the instrument as default when you save everything else as default, which of course would have been the common sense thing to do. Maybe they added that in NT8.

Comment

Hello LightWeight,

Thanks for your reply.

In Ninjatrader8 you will have the last used instrument that gets saved and persists until you change it. You can also "Pin" an instrument to the list.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:56 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post kempotrader  
                Started by kempotrader, Today, 08:54 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes