NT7 stability issues on Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 stability issues on Windows 8.1

My NT7-64bit and NT7-32bit seems to freeze up quite often when I have 2-3 charts open with 4-5 indicators on each. It seems to work ok when things are slow during after-market or pre-market. This is a VM with nothing else running on it except chrome. I thought it was a connection lag problem but now I'm beginning to think it's a Windows 8.1 problem because for ****s n grins I had all my exact NT7 charts/indicators/DOM setup on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit VM and all worked fine - no locking up. I am using VMware workstation but never had an issue with it.

Here is my setup:
    LinuxMint host (i5 3rd gen, 32GB ram, 2 SSD, 2 HDD)
    VMware Workstation 12 (Windows 8.1 64bit virtual machine, 8GB, 4CPU, 60GB on SSD)
    Kinetick Level 2
    NinjaTrader Continuum

Like I said, I created a VM with Windows 7 64-bit and NT7 worked like a charm. I even gave the Win7 VM less RAM and CPUs.

Anybody else having issues with Win 8.1?

Hello monkey93,

Thanks for your post.

Do you see this happen without custom indicators applied to the charts?
    What type of charts are you loading; 1 minute, 1 day, 150 tick, etc?
    How many Day To Load have you selected?
    How many cores does the system have?
    How much CPU usage is there when you experience a freeze?
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

... I'm having serious DOM lag on a new machine (no bloatware) running Windows 8.1 vs. my older machine running Windows 7.x

While I'm not running VM, I'm familiar with the product. I think our issues are related. Was anything ever determined on this thread? Is there any specific Ninjatrader settings for Windows 8.1?

I've done what I would consider mid-level performance tuning with no results.

Comment

Hello thuff,

Thanks for your post.

We have not seen any performance issues related to Windows 8.1

As a test, please take the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your saved workspace. You will have the option to reopen these after our tests.

Shut down NinjaTrader

Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces

Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML". DO NOT delete the 'workspaces' folder - only delete the '_Workspaces.XML' file within the 'workspaces' folder

After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.

Once NinjaTrader has started on just the control center, please open a new chart with no custom bar types/indicators/templates and test for issue.

*Please note this will not delete your workspace however the new blank workspace will be named Untitled1. If you have a workspace already named Untitled1 however you will not want to save the workspace when exiting NinjaTrader, otherwise it will overwrite it.

If there are no issues on this new workspace, please try opening the previous workspace by going to File--> Workspaces--> Open workspace.

If this reintroduces issues, I would suggest rebuilding your workspace, adding 1 indicator at a time. Please keep track of what indicators you add back in so that we can narrow down what indicator is causing the issue if the issue returns. I also suggest making a backup of your workspace so we can restore a backup if the issue returns.

I have provided a link below to our Help Guide that goes over backing up and restoring.

BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

... thanks for your quick reply; I'll carve out some time and test thoroughly. I'll report back the results.

Comment

Originally posted by thuff View Post
            ... I'm having serious DOM lag on a new machine (no bloatware) running Windows 8.1 vs. my older machine running Windows 7.x

While I'm not running VM, I'm familiar with the product. I think our issues are related. Was anything ever determined on this thread? Is there any specific Ninjatrader settings for Windows 8.1?

I've done what I would consider mid-level performance tuning with no results.
            Does speedtest.Net return expected Internet speeds when compared to old machine?

Comment

... yes (actually, the line is a little cleaner than before)

Comment

Since my last post, I've continued to have stability problems w/ NinjaTrader. It continues to crash (stop responding). From Windows Error Log:

Problem signature:
                Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
                Problem Signature 01: ninjatrader.exe
                Problem Signature 02: 7.0.1000.30
                Problem Signature 03: 55e476af
                Problem Signature 04: NinjaTrader.Core
                Problem Signature 05: 7.0.1000.30
                Problem Signature 06: 55e476cd
                Problem Signature 07: 181f
                Problem Signature 08: 0
                Problem Signature 09: System.StackOverflowException
                OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
                Locale ID: 1033

I'm past frustrated. I'm seriously considering dumping NinjaTrader and going with another platform. Pulling profits from the current Markets is difficult; it becomes impossible when your platform can stay up and running (when did a GS trader last have a platform crash during session? ..almost never..I know).

All previous advice was followed. Please advise ASAP re: stack-overflow / NT not responding. Again, barebones trading hardware, no virus, no firewall, no apps... machine trades, period.

i7-5820 3.3GHz
                32GB RAM
                (2) 250GB SSD - RAID 0
                2TB secondary HDD
                Nvidia GTX980 multi-monitor video card
                Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Comment

Hello thuff,

So that I may further investigate please contact me by email with a copy of your log and trace files. You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.
                  Please reference the following ticket number in the body of the email: 1381250
                  KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

... sent. BTW, on initial processing NT froze, "Not Responding" for +30 secs, then appear to come back "alive" and finished processing the email.

Comment

... first, my apologies... I didn't clearly provide you an update when I reviewed this thread(I thought I had).

Some further testing has revealed the potential problem is with " Ultimate Tick Bars " which is proprietary tick bar. When I load NT tick bar, no error - no delay.

Take a closer look on your end at that indicator in the log(s). If confirmed, let me know the easiest way for me to proceed, e.g. I don't want to get into a finger pointing contest between platform and custom vendor.

The bars do have value to me and I want to use them. (not sure why the problem when I moved to Windows 8.1?)
                      Last edited by thuff; 01-04-2016, 05:36 PM.

Comment

... sorry to keep dripping in the variables: I store my custom indicators (.zip files) on my conventional HDD. NT runs on the SSD RAID-0. Thus, I import the custom indicators from the conventional HDD.

Would this cause problems?

Comment

Possible bad Indicators?

hmm, i thought I sent a reply back in oct but I guess it never went through.

anyhow thuff, I was able to get mine stable after I quit using certain indicators from Ninjacator. I'm pretty sure that is the culprit but I also tried a few other things (see below).

First, I'd try this: uninstall NT, delete any residual files, update any windows patches (like .NET).... I recommend making the pagefile small and static, rather than dynamic.
                          Also, look at the windows system event logs. There may be an issue with the disks (timeouts, etc). There are registry changes you can make to reduce the timeouts. BTW, I used Raid 0 a while back and although it was nice and quick, occasionally when an application would freeze up, I would have system errors and the disk would need windows OS to repair itself on next bootup. It was a lot of pain.

Anyhow, setup your broker connections and just run NT barebones for a few days. Slowly import your indicators one by one and see what happens

Comment

NINJATRADER SUPPORT: where are you w/ my logs/traces?

Comment

Hello thuff,

Could you please email me at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with a link to this forum thread?
                              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                              6 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post jgualdronc  
                              Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes