Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

4K Monitors replacing 4 physical monitors....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4K Monitors replacing 4 physical monitors....

At a resolution of over 3800 x 2000+, what some vendors are doing are marketing their 4K monitors to traders, specifically to replace desk clutter and swing arms holding 4 physical monitors.

This kind of stuff makes one rush out and change overnight!

Most importantly, how will, or does NT 7x and NT 8x respond to multiple virtual monitors, as described in the article?

Has anyone done this so far, and what are your experiences?

Would you recommend obtaining an 4K monitor for trading?

Hi kronie,

We do not currently possess the hardware in order to test NinjaTrader's behavior on monitors of this nature. That said, perhaps some of our users have some experience in working with this type of monitor and could offer some insight.
    <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Would this be attached to a laptop or desktop? What screen resolution is your laptop?

Which windows version more importantly? - Windows 7/8.1/10?

Not sure that LG you link qualifies as "4K"... There maybe enough pixels to qualify in 21:9, but there's really not enough vertical for me.

I guess on a desktop I would NOT have these issues as I do with a 3k laptop and 4k laptop.

I picked up from newegg the dell 34" curved version (u3415w) this summer. First one was $863 shipped, then they had another super deal - 2nd was $807 shipped. I do love them.

The only issue I have is using Windows 7, and a 3k laptop and 4k laptop. Scaling is some what of an issue. I believe in Win 8.1 from I've seen reading online - you can set scaling per application?... The 3k and 4k laptop has an helper application that overrides Windows scaling, and allows me to go to 200% on 3k, and 250% on 4k laptop. Well- doing this - causes some bigger than necessary fonts when you move a window to the monitor.

It's definitely more noticeable on the 4k laptop.. if I make the normal for the monitor and move it to the 4k screen - I can barely read stuff... (especially since the laptop is 15.6" screen!).

If you are dealing with them from a desktop - you should have no issues in windows 7 as everything will be scaled the same.

I would have liked 3440x1600 a little better (it would be closer match to 3k laptop (2880x1620)- but for the price, it was a no brainer.

I found some 300lb rated plastic step stools at walmart that work great to raise the monitors perfectly behind the laptop screens (so it's staggered slightly, which isn't a big deal).

I'm not sure if I helped answer your questions. It's really subjective. Maybe you have a Microcenter store near you, then you could get a feel for one.

I did like going to LED for the heat factor in the summer... My old dell u3011 and u2711 throw more than enough heat (but they keep me warm in the winter).

Oh - the mini display port 1.2 is kind of annoying - I've read online that it's a plug'n'play type feature - so when I turn my monitor off - all the windows are moved to the laptop screen. Annoying as anything. I have read online about some registry hacks but haven't tried anything. With the HDMI, that's not been an issue.

Comment

Sharing monitors between computers

A little off topic but may be useful. You can use all of a monitor's inputs and switch between them with the Source button on the monitor. I have four monitors rotated to portrait 1200x1920. My primary computer is connected to the Digital inputs, giving a desktop of 4800x1920. My backup computer is connected to three of the Analog inputs, giving a desktop of 3600x1600. A third computer is connected to the Analog input of the last monitor with a desktop of 1200x1600.

If your monitor has HDMI inputs, there are DVI to HDMI adapters and cables available. You could use the monitor's Source button to switch between all inputs, including HDMI. Having the same computer connected to multiple inputs on a single monitor is possible, but it will be easy to miss messages and confirmation requests on the undisplayed Source input.

A note on driving 4 monitors: Just because a graphics card has 4 outputs, it does not mean that all four can be used to create one large desktop. Some graphics cards only allow the 4th output to be a clone of one of the other outputs. My primary computer uses 3 of the 4 outputs of the graphics card and the motherboard's Video output to create the desktop. If your motherboard has a Video output, a BIOS setting is usually required to activate it while a graphics card is installed.

Have used my setup with combinations of XP, Win 7, Win 8 & 8.1, and Win 10 with physical computers and VMs with no problems. Combinations of desktop and laptop computers no problems either.

Caution: Always power off computer and ALL monitors connected to the computer when connecting or disconnecting monitor cables. Failure to do this can result in damage to devices on either or both ends of cables. Also, if adding or removing cards or memory then unplug the computer and wait for the motherboard's LEDs to turn off. Pressing and holding the power button with computer unplugged will drain the capacitors faster.
        Last edited by Jim W.; 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kronie View Post
          At a resolution of over 3800 x 2000+, what some vendors are doing are marketing their 4K monitors to traders, specifically to replace desk clutter and swing arms holding 4 physical monitors.

This kind of stuff makes one rush out and change overnight!

Most importantly, how will, or does NT 7x and NT 8x respond to multiple virtual monitors, as described in the article?

Has anyone done this so far, and what are your experiences?

Would you recommend obtaining an 4K monitor for trading?

I've been looking into this type of monitor for some time. The linked monitor is not true 4K. I have yet to come across a 4K Ultra-wide. They would be perfect for trading.

What I have read about these QHD Ultrawides is that some pixel configurations on the height part can end up looking a little funky with windows based programs. I've only seen this mentioned in relation to the 28" ones though and haven't used the 34" to check if its the same. There isn't a whole lot of user feedback online about the 34" ultra-wide, there are a few YouTube clips giving a run through for gaming and there are some clips online showing trading setups running (May just be adverts by the companies).

If your looking for true 4K, some have turned to TV's. Some brands have a setting so that it can be used as a monitor and allows you to sit closer and sharpens the picture so it can be read up close like a traditional monitor. You would want to check this out in store to see if its suitable and different brands produce different results. Make sure to test with a computer and not just some test page they have set up.
          Using a TV will open up a range of sizes that might better suit your needs.

The fancy split monitor thing they advertise is nothing more then software based and can be set up using something like Catalyst Control Center (Or the software provided with your graphics card) so that when you move a window to a position on another monitor, it will stay there. The only time this changes is if you disconnect the monitor while the program using it is still open and then what ever was on that screen will migrate back to the main monitor still connected.
          Currently use NT7 across 4 monitors sometimes and where ever it gets saved and closed, it will open again as long as the monitors are all connected to the graphics card at the time. Virtual monitors would be no different.

The other item you might have to check is your graphics card. You should be able to find the total resolution capabilities on the manufactures web site or talk to their support.

You will likely have to use Display Port for connections. I think to run a single 4K monitor requires 2 DVI ports to get enough bandwidth from what I read (Could be wrong).
          If you end up using any sort of display port hub later if you decide to run multi monitor connections using your existing monitors and the new monitor and need to use different plug types, make sure to use a active adapter. This has a chip that converts the DP signal to DVI/HDMI/..... Supposedly its not necessary to use a powered active adapter but a powered active hub was the only one I could get to work on a 4 x 1080P set up with 2 running into the 2 port DP hub. If using a Hub, make sure to check its total and individual port supported resolutions also.

Some info on DP capabilities.
          Some users looking for the best visual experience with DisplayPort 1.2 enabled-products are beginning to take advantage of multi-stream technology &#8211; the ability to stream independent video displays from a single desktop or notebook video output. Multi-stream enabled display products, including monitor hubs and daisy-chainable monitors, should become widely available as more DisplayPort 1.2 enabled [&#8230;]
          Last edited by TyJack; 09-22-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I am using a Seiki 39" 4k but I can only drive it at 2k due to my video card. It works well but I have to push it back aways. Quality is great but it has some quirks and needs to be setup properly. Amazon user reviews give enough info on this.

Comment

As long as the 4k monitors are not a necessity, but a trend, there will be no major change in the industry.

Comment

The monitor is one of the most "long-playing" components of the computer. Not for nothing in some companies, long and hopelessly obsolete kinescope devices are still used.
                Regardless of the price - 24 inches (plus or minus tenths of a share). Choosing a smaller size, you are unlikely to notice that you will save, and the impressions will be not the same. Moreover, the monitor with a high probability will last longer than other components of the computer - unlike the same video cards, there is no sense to change them every few years.
                I'm an ordinary home gamer who does not run for records and basically play single player. Therefore, my choice fell on the TV 55 inches instead of the monitor. Still, the size matters whoever says that although there are still 60 herz. All play nicely slowly on the big screen. I'm sure that someone plays a serious result with me not to agree but for the after work to play and relax the more the picture the better.
                4k certainly gorgeous but in most cases just like an iPhone 10 - the price goes off scale and 95 percent of its functions can repeat the usual on-board for 50 bucks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by martin70, 03-24-2023, 04:58 AM
                14 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post martin70  
                Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post TraderBCL