Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Strategies On One Instrument

Hello there.

We have just completed converting over our TradeStation strategy to NinjaScript, and would like to start simulated trading.

We want to run one strategy on multiple length charts on the same currency. For example: on a EURUSD 15 minute chart we want to have the strategy making only long trades; on a EURUSD 45 minute chart we want to have the strategy making only short trades; on a EURUSD 120 minute chart we want to have the strategy making both long and short trades.

How can we accomplish this?

Can it be done with the free simulation version of NinjaTrader? Can it be done on one PC? Or must it be run on two PCs?

Would I run one PC with the NinjaTrader Simulation Account taking only the long trades from all chart lengths, and another PC with the NinjaTrader Simulation Account taking only the short trades from all chart lengths?

Or could I set up two MBTrading simulation accounts and have everything running on one PC, with the long trades directed to one MBTrading simulation account and the short trades directed to the other MBTrading simulation account? Or to do that would it require a purchase of NinjaTrader because this is "live trading" into MBTrading accounts (even though they are simulated accounts)?

Also, by default NinjaTrade has the forex currencies set with a tick size of one PIP, but MBTrading uses fractional PIPs. What kind of issues might this cause when I switch from the NinjaTrader simulation to MBTrading? If my NinjaScript strategy has references to TickSize, must I change the symbol setup in the Instrument Manager so that a tick size has one more decimal? Or will it not be an issue at all? Will the transfer be seamless, and all orders and reports (theoretically) work correctly?

Thanks for the help.

- Just open the three charts and run a strategy on each respective chart
    - Free version is fine
    - One PC
    - Please see MBT Connection Guide for information on sub-pip configuration

Review both of these links -

- http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/support_MB.htm
    - http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...trategies.html
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Live trading?

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful reply!

Now how does this change when I switch to live trading? When I emailed NinjaTrader support, the person who replied seemed to suggest that I would not be able to trade this scenario that I have described live using one account, but that I would need multiple accounts. Is this the case? Or is it no problem to trade opposite directions on different length charts into one live account?

Thanks again.

Comment

It should be no problem provided that this is not a problem for your broker.

Comment

Awesome!

Another somewhat related question: If we have all of these strategies running on all of these different charts on the same currency, it's really going to make the charts almost unreadable, isn't it?

The little bit we've played with the simulated trading, it appears that any trade placed by any strategy will show up on all charts for that currency, with all of the text describing the signal name and quantity, etc. Is that true?

So if we have three versions of the strategy running on three charts, we will see all that text describing the entries and exits from all three on each chart of that currency?

Is there any way to change that? Or do you have any suggestions of how to handle that? Because obviously we want to be able to look at the charts and confirm that the trades for each chart are being placed where they should be, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jvracing View Post
            Awesome!

Another somewhat related question: If we have all of these strategies running on all of these different charts on the same currency, it's really going to make the charts almost unreadable, isn't it?

The little bit we've played with the simulated trading, it appears that any trade placed by any strategy will show up on all charts for that currency, with all of the text describing the signal name and quantity, etc. Is that true?

So if we have three versions of the strategy running on three charts, we will see all that text describing the entries and exits from all three on each chart of that currency?

Is there any way to change that? Or do you have any suggestions of how to handle that? Because obviously we want to be able to look at the charts and confirm that the trades for each chart are being placed where they should be, etc.
            Hello,

Please right click within your chart and select properties from the dropdown menu. From the properties menu change 'plot executions' to do not plot or marker only.

Comment

That's a simple solution!

However, what happens when there are multiple strategies running for one symbol? Does changing this setting get rid of all trade markers from all strategies running on all charts? Or only those for the strategy applied to the current chart window?

Because if all I can do is turn on or off all trade markers, that still doesn't solve the problem of how to review the trades placed by a particular strategy on a particular chart.

Thanks.

Comment

It wil disable all markers. If you need visual separation, just create two identical charts and run 1 strategy per chart.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by Sparkyboy, Today, 10:57 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post Sparkyboy  
                Started by TheMarlin801, 10-13-2020, 01:40 AM
                21 responses
                0 likes