Email alert capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email alert capability

Hopefully, I haven't overlooked this feature. I know that the market analyzer can be setup so that alerts are generated. This seems to work fine. But, is there a way to have that alert be sent via email.

That way, I can receive these important messages without having to be at my computer to watch the alert screen itself.

If it's not a current feature, can you put it on the consideration list for the next release.

Thanks much.

You can create an indicator that essentially has the same alert as the one you created as an alert condition. Then in that indicator use SendMail() to send yourself an email.
    Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Are there any examples of this anywhere?

To know where to get started.

Or can the pricealert indicator be modified somehow?

I find that marketanalyzer thing to be really un-user-friendly.

Comment

Hi naxo79, unfortunately not as you would need custom coding the indicator with the SendMail feature that Josh mentioned.

Or you create a strategy in our wizard that would then triggers those messages -

BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

How do I make the email alerts stop.

I used the email alert in a strategy builder for when I enter LNG and short position. I keep getting email alerts, over 300 of them. How do I make this stop. I shut my strategy down, I shut down NJT but the alerts keep coming. How is this capability setup. Are the emails controlled from a server because they just keep coming.

Comment

Could it be you use this on multiple NinjaTrader installation referring to the same email?

Or did you perhaps sent out this many emails by for example running the strategy on CalculateOnBarClose = false?

Comment

please add ability to have any alert fire off an email also when the alert is fired... I'm sure many people would want this

should be easy to do, just have a setup dialog somewhere to define the email recipient for alerts

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Ditto. And please add a "once per bar option" to the alert options for sound, visuals, and email.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion as well. I have forwarded it to our development team and asked them if they can add this to the list of future considerations for the software.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by tschalli27 View Post
                      I used the email alert in a strategy builder for when I enter LNG and short position. I keep getting email alerts, over 300 of them. How do I make this stop. I shut my strategy down, I shut down NJT but the alerts keep coming. How is this capability setup. Are the emails controlled from a server because they just keep coming.
                      I'm having the same problem as tschalli27; and I was blown off by Support when I appealed directly by email for help. My "Calculate on Bar Close" function is set to "True" for all the indicators, and I am not running multiple instances of NinjaTrader. My sound alerts and my screen Alerts box both work perfectly 100% of the time. The email alerts (I have text messages sent to my mobile phone) work correctly about 99% of the time; but on a random basis, with a seemingly random chart selection and instrument selection, once in several hundred alerts, the system goes haywire and sends me text messages for every alert that triggered back to beginning of the Data Series for that chart. Once that happens, the text messages keep coming even if I shut down NinjaTrader. (They are apparently all queued up at the carrier within less than a minute.) The first time this happened, the randomly selected chart had "Days back" set to 200, and I received over a thousand text messages going back 200 days. Because of this I now set my "Days back" settings much shorter, and I am much more selective about where & where to give NinjaTrader my cell phone's email address. This doesn't eliminate the problem but does reduce its severity. To Support I say, please advise your development team of this problem. To other USERS, I ask whether you have experienced this problem; and if so, whether you have found any other ways to deal with it.
                      Last edited by PeterM; 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Peter, thanks for sharing your insights - is this happening reproducibly for you? The next time when you see this happening, please forward me your log and trace files via Help > Mail to Support - thanks in advance.

Comment

Deluge of retroactive email alerts

Bertrand, Thanks for your quick reply. In answer to your question, I know of nothing I can do to reproduce the problem, which from appearances happens randomly. When it does happen, it's such a big problem that I now use the feature by pasting in my cell phone's email address for trade management purposes ONLY if I'm IN a particular trade on a particular chart and know that I must leave my computer for more than a couple of minutes. As soon as the trade is over, I then delete my email address from all alert-enabled indicators on that chart. I have stopped using the feature altogether for trade entry puposes. Under the circumstances, it may be awhile before the problem repeats.

As for forwarding files, I know what you're referring to by the expression "log" files, but unclear what you mean by "trace" files. Is that the same as "Diagonistics?" If so, should I check "Alerts" and "Indicators" in Diagnostics?

Comment

PeterM, you're welcome - trace and log files combined can be sent to us via the Help > Mail to Support feature.

Trace files offer more insight into the software processes if crashes occur, but best is to always include both files for review on a issue.

Unless you have a specific reason to do so, we would not recommend changing settings / accessing the Diagnostics tab.

Comment

Deluge of retroactive email alerts

Bertrand, you asked that I send log and trace files when this next happened, which I am have just now done.

As previously explained, the first time this happened, I received over a thousand text messages on my cell phone going back months. Since then, I've made some changes to limit my exposure.

This time, I received 11 such alert messages going back to 7:25 AM on November 9, 2009. All 11 alert messages were received at 3:17 PM today, at which time, no current alert was triggered on any chart of mine. All of the alerts I received triggered in 2009.

I did, however, reopen the applicable workspace shortly before this happened. The workspace contains six charts, each for a different instrument; and as always been the case, the retroactive alerts triggered on just one instrument.

It has happened with a different instrument every time. I have opened and closed this workspace many different times before without this happening, and this is not the same workspace for which the problem occurred in the past.

Since writing the above, some 45 minutes after the first batch, I just received another 29 retroactive text alerts (40 in all), same instrument, same workspace. I did nothing to the workspace in the interim.

The text messages in this second batch are all time stamped at 4:04 PM today.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                              14 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post emuns