Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

What cloud instance would be the most appropriate on AWS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cloud instance would be the most appropriate on AWS??

I realize this is not necessarily the most straightforward question to answer, but some pointers might be helpful. I'm running my setup on AWS due to improved stability than running from home. I have an AWS instance running NT/IB (and not much else...). My computational demands on NT and IB are flexible depending on the time/day, but at times they can be quite light (i.e. nothing happening) to quite heavy (200 stocks loaded up into NT). What would be the most ideal instance type on AWS, in terms of

1) coping adequately with resources (would 1 vCPU be sufficient or do I need 2 or more?)
    2) good network performance (is low-to-moderate network performance sufficient? i.e. milliseconds aren't important to me, but seconds probably are)
    3) cost effectiveness? The costs of cloud computing do add up over the year, so I don't want overkill, but equally I do not want compromised performance. The server needs to do the job, but no more.

Any pointers/ideas welcome! THanks.
    Last edited by AntiMatter; 12-08-2014, 04:17 AM.

Hello AntiMatter,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the different types of AWS, so I am not sure which one would be best for you.

You can find our installation guide at the link below, which will list the minimum requirements to run NinjaTrader 7.

Above and beyond this, we have no recommendations regarding processor type and RAM aside from suggesting the fastest processor and most RAM you are able to find.

NinjaTrader 7 has optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This would allow you to make full usage of a multi-core/ multi-processor hardware on backtesting multiple instruments or running multiple iterations of a strategy optimization at the same time. However most other items such as charts and a single instrument backtest are single threaded. We are looking to support it in our next major release.

Perhaps you can test one type of AWS and check if your NinjaTrader setup will run without issue during heavy periods. If not, test a better type of AWS and see if this will work.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This is helpful, thanks. My main performance demands are a multi-instrument strategy running on NT, which processes the orders via IB TWS. It sounds like multiple cores might not improve my performance very much?

Is there better ways (other than looking at the resource monitor) to study system performance? This sort of thing is new to me....

Comment

Unfortunately, I am not sure if a multi instrument strategy will use multiple cores. I do not think it will apply to running strategies in realtime. Does you computer perhaps have multiple cores? If so, I suggest to check if multiple cores are used when you run the strategy.

You could search the web for software that studies performance. I think the best way would be testing it in realtime. It is hard to say beforehand if your NinjaTrader setup will run without issue on the type of AWS you choose.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

AWS, NT and IB

Hello AntiMatter,

I am starting an instance on AWS to install NT and IB. Does this configuration work properly?
          Don't you mind if I contact to you by email in order to solve issues that could arise?

Thanks in advanced,
          Daniel.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by SantoshXX, Today, 03:09 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post SantoshXX  
          Started by DanielTynera, Today, 01:14 AM
          0 responses