Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing strategies using market data

Hi Ninjas,

I've been playing with the simulated data feed in order to learn NinjaTrader functions, and have become pretty comfortable now, with NT5's features and how to use them effectively. I am pleased to say I am confident with using NT5 functions, and believe it is a wonderful interface for the type of trading I wish to do.

However, the simulated data feed is not a true representation of any particular market, so it is not actually the ideal tool to test personal trading strategies (size of stops/targets relative to price movement etc.), or trading systems (various combinations of indicators suited to various types of market etc.).

For this, I gather one needs a real-time data feed, or historical data to back test on.

Not yet having an online broker, and therefore not yet having a daily data feed, is there some way I can load historical data into NT5 so I can now start fine tuning my strategies and systems into real, workable ones before going real?

The other options in File/Connect (External datafeed or Market Replay Connection) both assume that I already have a broker feed.

I find this quite limiting, because in the other proprietary analysis software I use, I can load files which are stored historical datafiles of all major futures markets for past 2 years, so I can really study and back test my systems on real market moves.

thanks,

Antraman

imported post

There is no way to import historical data for market replay, you will need a live broker feed for this. Many of our partners offer two week trials on live market data.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

All.....

Has anyone written an External Data FeedConnection.dll or .com interfacefor Ensign playback files??

Comment

imported post

On the main website in the custom applications automated trading page it says this:

You can use the FREE NinjaTraderTM Simulation Edition with real-time market data, market replay data or NinjaTrader’s internally generated simulated data feed

How can I use real time market data in Sim for free? Ray, by your reply it seems this statement is contradicted...

cheers,

Antraman

Comment

imported post

You need either a broker account or a data feed account that will provide NT real-time data.

Comment

imported post

So if I open an account with IB, I will automatically get real time data that I will be able to run in sim for free with the version of Ninja (5.1.1.4) I am already using?

thax,

Comment

imported post

That is correct.

Comment

imported post

Thanks...sounds good.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post