Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring strategies

Hello,
    After trying to 'Reset DB' (which caused Ninja to collapse but seems to have done the job) all my strategies were deleted from the strategies tab. Moreover, when trying to open previously saved workspaces they all failed to load the strategies. So after a few tests of switching the workspace xml files I concluded that the strategies aren't saved in the xml files.
    So my questions are:
    - How can I restore my strategies? (I had 38 defined and it would be a pain to define them again).
    - Where are the strategies actually saved?
    - What can I do to avoid this happening in the future?

Thank you

Hello orenshkol,

Thank you for your post.

The active strategy instances are saved in the database file. A ID to the instance in the database is saved with the workspace. So both are needed.

By resetting your database you will lose the active instances as well as all trade history. If you have a backup you can restore from backup. Otherwise you will need to re-add these strategy instances to the Strategies tab.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply.

I do I create a backup for next time I want to reset my DB?

Also, is there any point to save previous workspaces for the strategies? It seems to that loading previous workspaces doesn't load the strategies of those workspaces and only the last instance that I saved is available.

Comment

Hello orenshkol,

By resetting the database, the workspace's strategy instances IDs are pointing to nothing now as they are no longer in your database.

They don't appear in the workspace because they are gone. Even if you got the workspace file from earlier, they will still not appear because they are not in the database any longer.

If you restore the database you have the original database again. In which it doesn't make sense to reset the database just to restore it back.

If you reset the database strategy instances will have to be added back. There is no way around this.

Comment

I understand, can you please still tell me how to backup my DB in case that something goes wrong?

Also, is there any point to save previous workspaces for the strategies? It seems to that loading previous workspaces doesn't load the strategies of those workspaces and only the last instance that I saved is available.
          I tried this after creating several new workspaces and loading different workspaces still only shows the last strategies I saved.

Comment

Hello orenshkol,

Complete the following steps to create a Backup Archive on the first computer.
            1. Disconnect from all connectivity providers (if connected) and from within the Control Center window select the File menu. Then select the menu Utilities and the menu item Backup...
            2. The "Backup NinjaTrader" dialog window will appear
            3. Select the items you wish to back up
              (I recommend unchecking to exclude Historical data, Market Replay Data, and Log and Trace files)
            4. Press the "Run Backup" button

Complete the following steps to restore a Backup Archive on the second computer.
            1. From within the Control Center window select the File menu. Then select the menu Utilities and the Restore... menu item
            2. Select the backup archive to restore from the "Restore" file dialog window
            3. Press the "Open" button

Below I have provided a link to the Backup & Restore section of our help guide.
            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...p__restore.htm
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 05-13-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Thank you,

Please also reply to this question:

Quote:
              I tried this after creating several new workspaces and loading different workspaces still only shows the last strategies I saved.

Comment

Hi orenshkol,

Originally posted by orenshkol View Post
                Thank you,

Please also reply to this question:
                See post #4

Comment

As I said, I'm talking about workspaces I created AFTER resetting the DB.

Comment

Hi orenshkol,

From your post it sounded like only the strategies you've added after the reset are showing.

" It seems to that loading previous workspaces doesn't load the strategies of those workspaces and only the last instance that I saved is available."

If this is not the case could you clarify.

Comment

This is not the case. The question is completely unrelated to the DB reset and I my asking about several workspaces I saves ONLY after it.

I'll give you an example:
                      I create strategy1 and save it to workspace1, then remove it and create strategy2 and save it to workspace2. Then when I switch back to workspace1 I still see strategy2 in the strategy tab.

Comment

Hi orenshkol,

If the workspace is open, the strategy will show in the Strategies tab of the Control Center no matter what workspace is open.

If you close the workspace that the strategy is added to, the strategy should be removed from the Strategies tab.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post Waxavi
                        by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
                        0 responses