Backtest not finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backtest not finishing

I'm trying to run a backtest on ANY strategy, such as SampleMACrossOver, but the process never finishes and hangs with the message "Backtest in process...".

I'm out of ideas on what to try next. Next steps please?

Here's what I've tried so far:
    1) Tried various strategies, including the NT canned example strats
    2) Restarted NT
    3) Reset DB
    4) Repair DB
    5) Checked Log - only message is "Initialize"
    6) Inserted print statements in strategy. This showed that the strategy worked through the entire data set and output values were correct - but the Strategy Analyzer process never completed and never produced any report output

Hello Bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

Do you have any other prints and/or DrawObjects that you are using in the script?

If you load the task manager, right click on the bottom task bar and select start task manager, go to the performance tab; does the RAM usage go up when running the Analyzer?

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in the lower left corner of the Control Center

Do you see any errors in the Log Tab when running the Analyzer?

Additionally, can you send me your trace and logs by going to Help -> Mail to Support
    put ATTN Cal in the subject and reference this thread in the body
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_CalH; 06-17-2014, 08:15 AM.
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cal View Post
      Hello Bluelou,

Thank you for your post.

Do you have any other prints and/or DrawObjects that you are using in the script?

If you load the task manager, right click on the bottom task bar and select start task manager, go to the performance tab; does the RAM usage go up when running the Analyzer?

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in the lower left corner of the Control Center

Do you see any errors in the Log Tab when running the Analyzer?
      Cal,
      1) I'm trying ANY script; e.g., NT's SampleMACrossOver. I'm running the script w/o edits.
      2) RAM usage doesn't appear to change. NT using ~115 MB, physical memory = 23%
      3) Not connected to anyone.
      4) I mentioned this before. No errors in the Log tab. Only message is "Initialize".

Comment

Bluelou,

Can you please send me your trace and logs by going to Help -> Mail to Support
        put ATTN Cal in the subject and reference this thread in the body

Comment

I just copied today's log and trace files out of the directory and emailed to you. Let me know if you need any other files.

Comment

Cal,
            Any progress? Have you had a chance to take a look? My ability to backtest is shut down until this is resolved.

Thx,
            Lou

Comment

Lou,

I replied back to your email -

I see from the trace file that there is a error message for a new_trends_v1.csv file and that another process is using this file while NinjaTrader is trying to use it.

Is this file open in any other window, such as text editor or Excel?

Do you have an automated backup program that is running in the background?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cal View Post
                Lou,

I replied back to your email -

I see from the trace file that there is a error message for a new_trends_v1.csv file and that another process is using this file while NinjaTrader is trying to use it.

Is this file open in any other window, such as text editor or Excel?

Do you have an automated backup program that is running in the background?
                Cal,
                I never received any email. Anyway, yes, I did forget to close a csv file. I've since closed it and restarted NT. I still can't get StrategyAnalyzer to complete a short backtest of NT's SampleMACrossOver.

No, I don't have an automated backup program running. Backtesting was working perfectly fine until this morning.

Comment

Bluelou,

Thank you for the update.

We will need to setup a remote session.

I'll try sending you a follow up email again here shortly.

Comment

Cal,
                    I think I may have resolved the issue. I'm getting backtests to run with volume bars but not with time-based bars. There may have been more than one problem: 1) the csv file being open, 2) my minute-bar data may be corrupted - but the tick data series is okay.

Since the StrategyAnalyzer is working in some instances but not others let me see if I can get the minute data to work on my own. I'll get back to you tomorrow if a remote session is still required.

Thanks for your help.

~Lou

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by bill2023, Yesterday, 08:51 AM
                    8 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post bill2023  
                    Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
                    6 responses