why stop limit (Slm) did not trigger a sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why stop limit (Slm) did not trigger a sell

i got into a trade short today (sim). and placed a stop limit order on the buy side 2 points above my entry. twice the stock went through this stop without selling. what am i missing? thanks see pic
    Attached Files

Hello Cowboy,

Thanks for your post.

What stop limit offset did you use for your order?
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

i clicked the mouse wheel on the buy side

Comment

Hello,

That click would place the Stop order however you would also have needed to define a offset for the order. What offset did you select for the order?
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
          Hello,

That click would place the Stop order however you would also have needed to define a offset for the order. What offset did you select for the order?
          do you mean the number next to the checkbox? I selected 1

Comment

yes the offset I used was a #1

Comment

Hello,

Using a narrow Stop and Limit range such as this can prevent a fill from taking place in a fast moving market. Widening the range between the stop and limit price is worth experimenting with in the Sim101 account.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                Hello,

Using a narrow Stop and Limit range such as this can prevent a fill from taking place in a fast moving market. Widening the range between the stop and limit price is worth experimenting with in the Sim101 account.
                Thanks Kyle, I need a bit more clarity because I never saw this happen before and this was a particularly slower market when this happened.

How many points away from the buy/sell is a stop market order that will more likely trigger (eg, in emini s&p500 buy long at 1880 with SLM at 1878 verses say 1875

Also if I places the SLM at 1878 with a 1 offset vs a 2 offset — I dont understand what the offset does

Thanks

Comment

Hello Cowboy,

Thanks for your reply.

Please note that when trading to the sim101 account the fills are based on settings to simulate the live market. These are general settings that work for most users however they can be adjusted under Tools> Options> Simulator. You can even select to enforce immediate fills if you would like.

Below I have provided a link to the Simulator Tab section of the help guide.

The live market will have different fills for different instruments or even the same instrument though out the day.

How a Stop Limit order works is lets say for example you place a buy stop limit order at 1750.00 on the ES with a 4 tick offset. This indicates that once your stop is reached at 1750.00 a limit order will become active at 1751.00
                  With the limit order at 1751.00 this means you are willing to be filled at 1751.00 or better, however if the price is unable to fill you at 1751.00 or better you will not be filled.

I would not be able to advice what settings to use as this would be your own personal preferance for your trading method.
                  BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                  3 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                  Started by lorem, Today, 09:18 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes