Market Replay Connecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market Replay Connecting

Market Replay works fine for me, but my question is this: If market replay is playing off data already recorded and on my hard disk why do I need to "connect" to anything? Shouldn't it work even when my internet connection is down?

Originally posted by Instamess View Post
    Market Replay works fine for me, but my question is this: If market replay is playing off data already recorded and on my hard disk why do I need to "connect" to anything? Shouldn't it work even when my internet connection is down?
    To get a data stream, you must be connected to a device context that streams data. Recorded data is just recorded data. To be useful in a streaming chart context, you need to stream that data: the static, recorded data will not just become a stream on its own because it has been recorded. The Market Replay Connection is the streamer.

Comment

Thanks, that explains something.

I appreciate that the hard disk data is static, but wouldn't it be technically possible for NT itself to take the data from the hard disk and stream it to the charts? I can stream videos from my PC to the internet; it therefore seems odd to me that I have to connect to servers elsewhere to stream data from my local NT folder to my local NT installation.

Maybe that's a feature NT could add in future versions - the internal ability to stream from static data.
      Last edited by Instamess; 11-29-2013, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Hello Instamess,

You only need to connect to a server when downloaded or recording the Market Replay Data. Once the Market Replay Data is saved to your Hard disk NinjaTrader does not connect to a server when you are connected to the "Market Replay" connection it is only telling NinjaTrader to use the Market Replay Data.

Think of it like a codec, all of the different Data providers have their own way of sending data so for example Kinetick, IQFeed, IB, etc... are like different codecs (AVI, MP4, WAV). So the Market Replay is going to use its own codec as well (MP3) and the only way to tell NinjaTrader which codec it is is by using the "Connect" option.

So you can be completely disconnected from the internet and still use the Market Replay Connection as long as you already have the data stored on your computer.
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by Instamess View Post
          Thanks, that explains something.

I appreciate that the hard disk data is static, but wouldn't it be technically possible for NT itself to take the data from the hard disk and stream it to the charts? I can stream videos from my PC to the internet; it therefore seems odd to me that I have to connect to servers elsewhere to stream data from my local NT folder to my local NT installation.

Maybe that's a feature NT could add in future versions - the internal ability to stream from static data.
          The Market Replay Connection is an internal NT device; not running on an external server. NT itself is the streaming server, so to speak. Actually you cannot even connect to ANY other connection if you want to use the Market Replay Connection. Try it.

This is what you will see if you are already connected, and try to connect to Market Replay Connection. You will get a message to the same effect, conversely worded, if you are already connected to Market Replay Connection, and you try to connect to anything else.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by koganam; 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by r68cervera, Today, 04:45 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post r68cervera  
          Started by r68cervera, 04-25-2024, 05:29 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post r68cervera