Setting up Demo account and margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Demo account and margin

So I am trying to set up ninja trader to most closely mimic what I will actually be starting with for account size and leverage/margin amount. It seems that no matter what I do I can't get Ninja trader to show a buying power of 120K on a $2,500. Per MBT's leverage amount of 50:1. Is there a detailed guide to setting up margin and other settings what Ive found so far has been insufficient.

I have not even begun to try to simulate there commission structure and I may not.even worry about reflecting commissions till I purchase a License Key. I am assuming that Ninja trader will auto synch things like commissions, Margin etc etc? If not the rather complicated pay for limits plan of MBT will be difficult to keep on top of i am sure. If that were the case it would seem that MBT and Ninja trader are not the best possible combination.

Thank you for your support.
    Last edited by Plutus'sfavor; 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM.

Hello Plutus'sfavor,

Thank you for your post.

The buying power is calculated by the broker and is different from broker to broker.

The buying power for the Sim101 account will always be twice the initial cash value which is the most common. This is not changeable.

You can, however, modify the margin for the Sim101 account and per instrument to use more or less of the buying power. You could increase the initial cash value and the margin so that it takes out the correct amount. Or, instead, you could lower the margin so that it does not consume the buying power as quickly.

To change the margin of the Sim101
    • Click Tools -> Options... -> select the Simulator tab
    • Change the value for Margin

To change the margin of an instrument
    • Within the instrument manager, search for an instrument, select the result row, then click the Edit button.
    • In the Instrument Editor window change the value for Margin value.
    Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Any chance I can get an answer on my second ? about it taking up account settings automatically?

Comment

Plutus'sfavor,

The margin is controlled by the broker as well as your account balance and other details in the Accounts tab.

Depending on your broker NinjaTrader may or may not show PnL (profit and loss) with commissions automatically.

Who is your broker?

If your broker does not report profit and loss with orders you will need to set up the commissions manually. You can do this per provider or per instrument. If a commission is set per instrument this will override the commission level set per provider.

Per provider - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ission_tab.htm

For an instrument, the setup is the same however instead of going to the Options window
        • Click Tools -> Instrument Manager
        • Search for an instrument -> select the search result row -> click the Edit button
        • In the Instrument Editor window click the Misc tab
        • Edit commission levels here

Comment

MBT is the broker I am using and after checking the recommended settings It appears that there are no Commissions set. To me this means that the disparity showing in ninja trader when I open a short position is being reported to ninja trader by MBT ??

In other words when I open a short position I will be negative even if I am in a few 10ths of a tick in my favor and as I said is this negative amount reported to ninja trader by MBT or dose it have some thing to do with the way Ninjatrader is set up??

Comment

Hello Plutus'sfavor,

From your description it does sound that MB Trading is applying the commissions to the trades and this is being reflected in your PnL.

This would cause you to have immediate loss after entering a trade due to the commission level.

Researching this I found the following thread that would agree with this.
            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f....php?t=42183#3

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply that is what my I assumed but its better to know.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
              6 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post futtrader  
              Started by sgordet, Today, 11:48 AM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes