Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No strategies?

Hi,

I just installed NT6.5 on a second computer (WinXP SP2) and for some reason no strategies appear in the various strategy drop down boxes (example: in strategies tab, right-click->new strategy, nothing shows up in the drop down).

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling NT but get the same result.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks.

Any funny stuff in the logs?

Also: Please make sure .NET 2.0 is installed on that machine.

Comment

There is a bunch of stuff like:

2/29/2008 1:41:33 PM Default Unable to create instance of 'NinjaTrader.Strategy.SampleAtmStrategy'. Most likely there is no default constructor defined, or the default constructor does not work correctly: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

I'll double check the .NET 2.o install? Do I have to have 2.0 or can I just to 3.0? Shouldn't NinjaTrader not startup and give a nice dialog telling us to install 2.0 if it's missing instead of happily starting up?

Thanks.

Comment

Please double check on the control panel.

Comment

Strangely, it appears that i have the .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 but not sure if that is just the service pack or actually the full thing.

Do I need .NET 2.0 or can I get the latest 3.0/3.5?

Comment

You need to have .NET 2.0 installed. Please:
            - uninstall any .NET runtime you have installed
            - install .NET 2.0 from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Comment

After installing 2.0 should I install the service pack? (I assume so) I'm not sure how I got 2.0 SP1 without 2.0 on this machine, but it is a dev machine that gets a lot of stuff installed on it and I don't do .NET development.

Still, it's probably a simple registry check that you guys could do to make sure that 2.0 is installed before running NT.

Thanks.

Comment

Please install naked .NET 2.0 as suggested in my post below.

Comment

Ok, I went back down to .NET 2.0, reinstalled NT, and I still get:

2/29/2008 2:42:33 PM Default Unable to create instance of 'NinjaTrader.Strategy.SampleMultiTimeFrame'. Most likely there is no default constructor defined, or the default constructor does not work correctly: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Odd.

Comment

You could try this:
                    - uninstall NT
                    - manually remove <my documents>/NinjaTrader6.5 folder (note: you will loose all your data)
                    - clear your browser cache
                    - download and install NT again

Comment

Hi,

I tried all of the things you mentioned and still I get the same problem. On a different machine with .NET 2.0 SP1 it runs fine. On this machine with plane .NET 2.0 I get the 'unable to create instance' error.

I also have installed visual studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 which I assume is what you guys are using (if not 2005 or 2008 by now).

This machine is also part of a domain which may enforce a nonstandard security policy (though I've never had a problem with any other software).

Comment

>> This machine is also part of a domain which may enforce a nonstandard security policy
                        Aahh ... may be that helps: http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/v...ead.php?t=2441

Comment

Actually, that will be useful later if I want to run off a network drive.

But my current problem appears to be that .NET 2.0 won't install properly. So I've run the installer many times, uninstalled, reinstalled etc and apparently it is just not installing correctly. I have no idea what the solution to this is and none of the solutions I've seen other people suggest have worked.

Thank you MS for making something as simple as installing a program/framework so error prone and for failing silently on the install.

Comment

Sorry I'm on a loss. May be ask your domain admin...

Comment

I finally had a chance to look at this problem again.

It looks like our domain policy puts "My Documents" on a network drive by default. Oops I didn't notice that before. So I need to do the .NET permissions workaround but, surprise, MS doesn't include the .NET configuration utility in the .NET redistributable. It has to be downloaded with the full SDK.

Making that change fixed the problem. Except, NinjaTrader (6.5.0.10) crashes the first time it is run but then runs fine afterwards.

Also, why does NT install into "program files" and "my documents"? I'd prefer it to behave like 99% of other software and just install into "program files".

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:24 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ZenCortexAuCost  
                              Started by ZenCortexAuCost, Today, 04:22 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes