delay of profit target and stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delay of profit target and stop

I understand that in backtesting Ninja only looks at the OHLC data and if the entry and exit criteria are both met by that price range then a trade is recorded. Of course in real trading the entry price must come before the exit price. When the opposite happens an incorrect trade may be recorded and yield inaccurate backtest results. I have seen some posts about how to avoid this with code however I have to figure out how to do it with the Wizard as I don't know code. I have changed my time frame from 15 to 5 min bars and tried to increase the minimal profit target and trailing stop for my strategy for optimization. This has helped but I would like to know if there is a way to force the trade exit to be no sooner than the next bar following entry (including the Profit Target and Trailing Stop exits). I might lose some winners that took place in a single bar but at least all the trades would be accurate historically. Thoughts?

Within the wizard the only way you're going to be able to get more accurate fill prices is through testing on a smaller time frame. As it sounds you have found you can use multi time frames to reduce these differences but it requires advanced coding.

In the backtest we have no way of knowing what happened intra bar. It could have gone up first and then down, or vice versa.

If you want to delay your exit you would have to place the exit a bar later. This cannot be done with SetStopLoss() (the stop/targets page of the wizard) and must either be done with a condition based exit or custom code.
    LanceNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by futtrader, 04-21-2024, 01:50 AM
    4 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post futtrader  
    Started by Option Whisperer, Today, 09:55 AM
    1 response
    0 likes