Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close Open Position and Cancel All Orders

Hi

What I'm wondering about is if there is any one click way in the SuperDOM. or any other place, to close an open position, say at market, and simultaneously close any open orders?

What happened to me yesterday was I had an open CL short in a fast moving market, and a buy stop order in the left column. But observing the action I decided to just close out the position as I didn't think it would hit my buy stop order. To do this I left clicked on the close button and it closed my position. So that part was fine. But before I could cancel the buy stop,it dipped down 1 second later and hit my buy stop and suddenly I was long CL, which I didn't want. If it had hit my buy stop first obviously the close order would have been irrelevant. But it closed the position first.
    Fortunately I saw it right away and realized what happened and closed it immediately and only lost $30 plus the commission.

So I'm wondering if there are any one click solutions to close an order and cancel any open orders. Thanks.
    Last edited by bce111; 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM.

Originally posted by bce111 View Post
    Hi

What I'm wondering about is if there is any one click way in the SuperDOM. or any other place, to close an open position, say at market, and simultaneously close any open orders?

What happened to me yesterday was I had an open CL short in a fast moving market, and a buy stop order in the left column. But observing the action I decided to just close out the position as I didn't think it would hit my buy stop order. To do this I left clicked on the close button and it closed my position. So that part was fine. But before I could cancel the buy stop,it dipped down 1 second later and hit my buy stop and suddenly I was long CL, which I didn't want. If it had hit my buy stop first obviously the close order would have been irrelevant. But it closed the position first.
    Fortunately I saw it right away and realized what happened and closed it immediately and only lost $30 plus the commission.

So I'm wondering if there are any one click solutions to close an order and cancel any open orders. Thanks.
    Right in the SuperDOM, there are quick buttons to do exactly that!

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...on_buttons.htm

The free manual is a nice resource, but only if we read it.

Comment

Thanks for the attempt to be helpful. I did read the user manual first before I posted this. In the link you provided it says:

"Left mouse clicking on the "CLOSE" will close the current position and cancel any working orders associated with the instrument/account combination."

But as I've described that's not what happened. It didn't cancel my buy stop once it filled my close order.

And on further reflection I'm remembering my data feed was a bit slow yesterday. Maybe this was the problem. It closed my position one tick above my buy stop and then according to the trade log it filled my buy stop one second later. Maybe it was actually a fraction of a second. That was the data feed I had to work with.
      Last edited by bce111; 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hello bce111,

Thank you for your post.

Please contact me by email at Support AT NinjaTrader DOT com. In the message, please include a link to this forum thread, acopy of your log file from the date of the issue and the time of the close attempt..

The log is located in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder. Log files are named by date in a 'log.YYYYMMDD.txt' format.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Close button functionining improperly

The close button acts right most times. but sometimes, it only cancels my pending orders, but leaves the existing order on. Do you need my logs?

Comment

Hello mrsonnim, thank you for your post.

The the "Close" button will submit market orders and depending on the market conditions, it can be expected for the market orders to fill to flatten your position. You can check the statuses of these orders by checking the Control Center > Orders tab > "States" column. More about the states can be found here

If you would like us to investigate these orders further in depth, please send me your log and trace files so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Ensuring 'Log and Trace Files' is checked will include these files. This is checked by default.

Please reference "ATTN Rilley" along with this ID: 868575, so I may look into this further.
            Riley S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Christopher_R, Today, 12:29 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Christopher_R  
            Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
            166 responses
            0 likes