Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charting issues

A couple of issues I encounter in the charts:
    1) When I create a new chart I can chose from any instrument list (e.g AA in the SP 500 list) and that chart will open. So far so good, but the instruments drop down list in the top left corner doesn't adapt, it continues to show the instruments from the Default list only. That's obviously a bug. The instruments in the dropdown list should show the tickers from the list I have chosen.
    Optimal solution: provide another dropdown list that lets me chose between any of my instrument lists, and fill the instruments dropdown with all tickers from the chosen list. Then I would be able to access any chart I want with just a few clicks.
    2) I couldn't find any way to switch the chart display to logarithmic scale, which is indispensable for weekly and monthly charts.

I wouldn't buy the program as long as it is lacking such basic functionality.

I would also suggest to add a direct link to the kinetick symbol lookup webpage in the instrument manager, or build the search function into the program. It takes a lot of searching to go find it on your website.

Thanks
    Last edited by MatchPoint; 02-10-2013, 02:51 AM.

Hello,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader support forum.

1.) This behavior is currently the intended behavior of the Chart Toolbar however this type of change is something which we're looking in to for future releases of NinjaTrader.

2.) Logarithmic scaling is not available at this time however this too is something we hope to add support for in the future.

3.) I will forward this suggestion regarding direct symbol lookup to our development staff for further consideration.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by MatchPoint View Post
      2) I couldn't find any way to switch the chart display to logarithmic scale, ...Thanks
      Right-click on the axis, and change the properties as you wish them to be.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
        Right-click on the axis, and change the properties as you wish them to be.
        Thanks, that works.
        But now I come across a few other bugs:
        1)When looking at weekly charts, and compressing the view to see the last 10 years, the year marks on the horizontal axis tend to fall away. (see attached chart , only 1999 and 2000 are shown). That's rather unconvenient.
        2) Dragging in the vertical sidebar to make more space above the chart does not work in logarithmic charts like it does in linear charts. It makes more space at the bottom of the chart only, but none at the top.
        Besides left-click + drag to change the chart scaling, something like right-click + drag would be convenient here to move the chart higher or lower and let me create space where I want to have it.

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello MatchPoint,

1. Yes, unfortunately I experience such behavior as well when compressing the chart that way. The time stamps on the X-axis are not consistent when using that much compression. At a certain point you see each year on the X-axis, however if you compress it even further, it usually only shows a timestamp of one the first years.

2. You can move the price bars vertically by holding Ctrl and click & hold the left mouse button on the right side of the price axis and moving up/down.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
            Hello MatchPoint,

2. You can move the price bars vertically by holding Ctrl and click & hold the left mouse button on the right side of the price axis and moving up/down.
            There are other similar issues on the horizontal time scale.
            If you have a daily chart compressed to show a couple of years data, then the years are shown OK, but the year in progress does not scale properly. see attached chart: the year 2014 (14) is starting way too early. That's a problem, for example when you try to estimate when a triangle is going to converge.

As for #2. Moving the price bars as you indicate doesn't work properly in long term logarithmic charts. E.g. open a monthly chart for Nasdaq composite and scale to show last 20 years. Then try to move the price bars in the way you explain it. You will get plenty space below the prices, but there is no way to get space above. See 2nd attachment. Can you reproduce this error?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, future timestamps are inconsistent as well. I experience the same using a daily chart.

You can use the 'Margin upper' setting to create space above. Please right click on the right side of the price axis and select 'Properties'. Enter a value to your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                Yes, future timestamps are inconsistent as well. I experience the same using a daily chart.

You can use the 'Margin upper' setting to create space above. Please right click on the right side of the price axis and select 'Properties'. Enter a value to your liking.

That's a way that works, but doing it directly with the mouse would be a lot more user friendly.
                My guess is that most of the testing has gone into intraday charts, and perhaps these long term monthly charts have not been a big priority for NT.
                Anyway, it is clear that quite a few easy improvements can be done in the charting part of the program, so hopefully your programming team gets around to take a better look at this.
                If they get to it, then it would also be useful if the "Fibonacci extensions" drawing tool could be made to show more than "+100%". For longer term charts you need at least up to "+262%"

Thks

Comment

You can use higher percentage lines as per the Fibonacci Extension. Please double click the anchor points of the Fibonacci Extension to open its Properties menu. Enter new percentage lines to your liking. You can create templates for these settings as well. More information can be found at the link below.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Jimmyk, 01-26-2018, 05:19 AM
                  6 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post emuns
                  by emuns

Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                  6 responses