Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

how to increase utilization of CPU with NT7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to increase utilization of CPU with NT7?

while loading 300 days of historical data of 1tickPF chart, it takes several minutes and max CPU usage is only 14% with NT7. obviously NT7 didn't maximize quad core power of current high end CPU. i have all high end hardware such as Hyper-X memories, high end SSD and CPU but NT7 just can't take all advantage of hardware but act so slow. is there any way in changing settings to maximize CPU usage to near 100% with NT7?

Hello futuretrader8,

NinjaTrader 7 does use multi-core support for strategy optimization and basket backtesting. As for the charting, it will run on a single thread but is optimized for processing of streaming events.

300 days of tick data is a heavy load of data with factoring in how many indicator/strategies and how they are programmed will determine the performance of how NinjaTrader will run.

If not already you may want to use the 64bit version of NinjaTrader if the following is 64-bit compatible: Operating System, any 3rd Party NinjaScript items, and Data provider.

Here is a link to our help guide that shows which data provider is 64-bit compatible.

Click here to view more information on Historical Data and Understand the data provided by your connectivity provider

I'm including some of our Performance Tips to help reduce the memory and CPU foot print in NinjaTrader:

Hidden Workspaces

* Hidden workspaces consume CPU cycles so check under File > Workspaces to see all of the workspaces that are open and close any that you seldom or never use.

Chart Performance Tips

* Set chart indicators "Calculate on bar close" property to a value of 'True'
    * Increase your chart refresh interval by increasing the value of the chart property "Display update interval (sec)"
    * Reduce the number of bars on your chart (days back or bars back settings under "Format Data Series" dialog window
    * Reduce the number of running indicators
    * If you are running a custom or 3rd party indicator or strategy, remove them to isolate if these custom NinjaScript objects may be a CPU or memory drain

You can read all of our available performance tips from the following link:

Click here to view the NinjaTrader performance tips

Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks JC for the reply, i already use 64bit OS and data were read from local SSD hard drive. it seems the single thread processing design in charting part of NT7 significantly limited the utilization of max power of quad core multithread design of current CPU, which is a huge drawback in my view, as i use separate computers running multiple NT7(each computer runs one NT7 only) to process complex charting in my system, but NT7's single thread design in charting function has no way to use full power of up-to-date technology. i hope this could be changed soon in future release of NT, i.e. using multithread to process chart. at least there should be an option for user to choose if using multithread to process charting.
      Last edited by futuretrader8; 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Hello futuretrader8,

Our development team is considering that for future releases of NinjaTrader.

You may view the following video that gives a overview of plans for NinjaTrader 8.

The best futures trading community on the planet: futures trading, market news, trading charts, trading platforms, trading strategies
        JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by StockTrader88, 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM
        45 responses
        3 likes
        Last Post johntraderuser2  
        Started by TAJTrades, Today, 09:46 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes