Stops and Targets don't work at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stops and Targets don't work at all

Hi, I am trying to backtest just a very simple strategy that I created for learning purposes using the Wizard. I am simply opening a long trade when EMAs cross and want to exit when a Stop or Target value is reached. When backtesting, the strategy enters a trade properly, but totally ignores the Stop and Targets that were defined in the Wizard. I am doing this on the EURUSD instrument so there might be a confusion because of the value of ticks with Forex. I am assuming tick = 1 (pip). I have tried using ticks (values of 20 or thereabouts), percentages ranging from .15 to 10, and price offset of .002 (equal to 20 pips). Nothing that I tried works. I opens a single trade (since I told it one at a time) and it never closes until it reaches the current time when it closes it with the label "exit on close". In the strategy backtest setup, I have defined the default quanity to be 100,000 and it understands that OK as the values that get reported are correct.

Hello,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums!

What I would suggest in this case is using Draw Objects to help debug where the stops and targets are being placed. This will allow you to visualize on the chart exactly where the orders are being placed.

Here is an example of how draw objects can be added to an indicator:

You will find from the strategy wizard, you have the option under "Do the following" to DrawLine and you can set this line to stop/target value.

You can also just simply Print a message to the output window to debug - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3418

If this doesn't help, would you mind providing an exact example of how you're setting the stops and targets?
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by llanqui, Today, 03:53 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post llanqui
    by llanqui

Started by burtoninlondon, Today, 12:38 AM
    0 responses