60 minute MA on a 5 minute chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 minute MA on a 5 minute chart

How can you plot a 60 minute moving average on a 5 minute chart? I have searched the threads and can not see where anyone has asked this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Frank

Frank,

You would need to create a chart with both the 5 minute and 60 minute data series added to it.

Please see the following YouTube tips and tricks video which shows you how to accomplish this:

Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to plot an indicator based off of one data series, overlay it onto another...
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by Jonafare View Post
      How can you plot a 60 minute moving average on a 5 minute chart? I have searched the threads and can not see where anyone has asked this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Frank
      Frank,
      Another easy way to plot a moving average from different timeframe than current chart is converting its period ; an EMA(50) on 60 min chart is an EMA(600) on a 5 Min Chart ;
      EMA(period_source) on timeframe_source can be plotted on timeframe_target using
      EMA(period_source x timeframe_source / timeframe_target )

EMA( 50) on 60 Min = EMA(50x60/5) on 5 Min Chart

Regards,
      Pablo Maglio
      www.TheIndicatorStore.com
      pmaglio
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - The Indicator Store

Comment

Originally posted by pmaglio View Post
        Frank,
        Another easy way to plot a moving average from different timeframe than current chart is converting its period ; an EMA(50) on 60 min chart is an EMA(600) on a 5 Min Chart ;
        EMA(period_source) on timeframe_source can be plotted on timeframe_target using
        EMA(period_source x timeframe_source / timeframe_target )

EMA( 50) on 60 Min = EMA(50x60/5) on 5 Min Chart

Regards,
        Pablo Maglio
        www.TheIndicatorStore.com
        Not quite. Plot it and you will see that they are not the same. The reason is because of the granularity; it causes considerable differences in the values used for calculation.

Comment

So I followed the video and it worked for me but ...

I typically trying to use RTH, and hide the ETH. With this trick of hiding another time frame I cannot use RTH. Let alone this toggling of RTH/ETH is rather inconvenient, but hiding additional time frame is plain not practical, it should be one button click - hide/show this time frame and toggle between RTH/ETH.
          Its been 6 years since then, may you have a better solution this time?
          Thank you

Comment

How about doing it in NT8?

Switched to Ninja Trader 8, All totally new, how to do it here (60 EMA on 5 min chart) ?

Comment

Hello stasha,

Thank you for your patience.

Please open your 5 minute chart > right click > select Data Series > add your instrument > set the newly added instrument to the 60 minute chart > set the Chart Style to Line On Close and then the Color of the Chart Style to Transparent > OK.

Once this is complete please right click in your chart > select Indicators > EMA > Add > set the Input Series to the 60 minute instrument > OK.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Don’t forget; when setting up the 60 minute Data Series you must also go to Visual>Panel> select panel 1.

Also, the new data series will be set by default to “use instrument settings”. If you want to use RTH, you must change that as well.

Works great, thanks Patrick.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by GwFutures1988, Today, 02:48 PM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
                Started by ScottWalsh, 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM
                6 responses
                0 likes