Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts are slow to load

Hi there,

I'm using NT7 (latet version) with a Kinetick data subscription.

My workspace is as follows... a market analyzer list with about 40-50 stocks which is linked to a daily chart and a 10min chart. The daily chart loads 500 days and the 10 min chart loads 1000 days. Each chart has a 20MA, 50MA and 200MA. No 3rd party indicators, strategies, etc.

Each morning I click through my list to scan the stocks I'm watching. I need to look at the daily and intraday charts simultaneously. Sometimes when I click a symbol in MA, the 2 charts will load almost instantly. But then the next symbol on the list might take 10-20 seconds to load. It seems to hang on the "loading data" according to control panel. If I type in a new stock symbol that is not on my list (maybe one I've never looked at before), it can take significantly longer... sometimes up to 30 seconds. This is way too long and makes scanning through my watch list frustrating.

This is not a problem at all, however, when I run the same list in market replay. The 2 charts load instantly when I click through my list, which makes me wonder if NT7 isn't redownloading all the data each time for some reason. But even if it was, my internet connection is very fast so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Any insight into this issue? I can provide more information if needed.

Thanks!

Hello olivetreebc,
    Thanks for your note.

If you load 1000 days of intraday data then it can take some time particularly if you are viewing the instrument for the first time.

Please refer to the section "When does NinjaTrader load historical data?" from our help guide which further describes how NinjaTrader pulls historical data from your connectivity provider.

If your trading style permits, then I would suggest reducing the Days to load to less 100 days particularly for minute data or load the minute data first using the Historical data manager before you begin trading.
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I understand 1000 days is kind of a lot, but shouldn't most of this be saved to my hard drive as historical and not reloaded each time I load the chart? Also, 1000 days loads instantly when I run it in market replay. My trading style dicates that I be able to scroll back to find relevant support and resistance levels, so 1000 days worth of data is very useful sometimes.

Are there any settings I can tweak so it's loading the historical data locally for charts I view often? I'm usually looking at the same 40-50 stocks every day. I understand that new stocks will take longer to load since it's the first time .

Thanks again.

Comment

olivetreebc,
        Yes, you can save the chart data as historical.

Please make sure the option "Save chart data as historical" is checked from Tools>Options>Data tab.

Comment

OK, I'll make sure that's checked. Thanks.

Also, I looked at one of your links and it referenced predownloading the data at the beginning of the day via tools, historical data, then the download tab. How does that work exactly? Also, I have about 3 months of recorded data stored that I want to save for market replay... this won't overwrite it or delete it in any way will it?

Comment

Hello olivetreebc,
            The download feature in NinjaTrader will download the necessary data from your connectivity provider and will save the data in the local hard disk.

Market replay data is different from historical data. Please refer to this YouTube which further demonstrates how to download market replay data.
            Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to download Market Replay data with NinjaTrader 7. NinjaTrader 7 is an awa...

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Joydeep View Post
              Hello olivetreebc,
              The download feature in NinjaTrader will download the necessary data from your connectivity provider and will save the data in the local hard disk.

Market replay data is different from historical data. Please refer to this YouTube which further demonstrates how to download market replay data.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ITAvYaV78
              Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure the two wouldn't interfere. I enabled the historical data check box and I can notice a difference in speed. It's much more similar to when I do it in replay mode, which makes sense since it's dealing with local data now.

I had unchecked this box a while before after reading a developer on these forums say it was better to leave that box unchecked. Maybe I misunderstood, but in any case I notice a big difference now. Thanks again!

Comment

Hello olivetreebc,
                Glad to know everything is working smooth at your end.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.

Comment

I used to be able to load 9 charts before without any issues, now I can only load one group of 3 - CL
                  if I try to load even 1 chart for NQ or GC with the indicator, the charts hang, memory used quickly shoots up to over 2 GB and NT hangs- what is happenning - my guess is it has something to do with the data

Comment

Very soon after the problem chart is loaded, Windows puts out a message saying
                    "NT application encountered a problem and needs to close....etc etc"

Comment

I restarted NT after deleting the workspace and loading the previously saved "working" workspace with 1 group of 3 charts , now I cant even get that loaded, NT puts out a msg saying too much data, worksoaces etc are causing memory issues, I never had an issue before with 9 charts loaded memory usage on Win Xp 32 never exceeded 1.5 GB with other programs running as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nted7 View Post
                        I restarted NT after deleting the workspace and loading the previously saved "working" workspace with 1 group of 3 charts , now I cant even get that loaded, NT puts out a msg saying too much data, worksoaces etc are causing memory issues, I never had an issue before with 9 charts loaded memory usage on Win Xp 32 never exceeded 1.5 GB with other programs running as well.
                        1. If you are using an indicator/strategy that you recently wrote or acquired, see what happens when you unload it.
                        2. If no dice, start by repairing your database.
                        3. If no dice, repair your NT installation.
                        4. If no dice, start with a completely fresh workspace.
                        Incidentally, just how big is your database?
                        Last edited by koganam; 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Hello nted7,
                          Can you please send the log and trace files to support[AT]ninjatrader[DOT]com
                          • You will find the log file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
                          • The log file will be named "log.YYYYMMDD.txt"

• You will find the trace file on your PC in the (My) Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                          • The trace file will be named "trace.YYYYMMDD.txt"

Please append Attn:Joydeep in the subject line of the email and give a reference of this thread in the body of the email.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Having similar problems as others - charts take forever to load or do not load at all. I tried the steps below, but did not help. Also checked to make sure the Save chart data as historical is checked. I have been able to load one to two charts with a 2-item market analyzer window open without any difficultly. But over the past few weeks the charts are loading slow or not at all - this is with one-chart only.
                            Thanks,
                            PanamaJack
                            1. If you are using an indicator/strategy that you recently wrote or acquired, see what happens when you unload it.
                            2. If no dice, start by repairing your database.
                            3. If no dice, repair your NT installation.
                            4. If no dice, start with a completely fresh workspace

Comment

Hello PanamaJack,

Please send me your log and trace files for today so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Platform Support.

Please reference the following in the body of the email: ATTN:Chris Shttp://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=54149
                              Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by jxs_xrj, 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM
                              5 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post jgualdronc  
                              Started by Touch-Ups, Today, 10:36 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes