Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT dependent orders?

Hello,

Specifically what orders entered via SuperDOM, and Chart Trader are dependent on NT being active and online?

I use Interactive Brokers, and I just want to understand what orders, once placed are on IB servers and what orders stay locally on NT and my computer?

Thank you in advance!

Karado,

I am happy to assist.

All orders would be sent to IB's servers, and from there they exist on the exchange. You would need to remain connected only while placing them.

The only exception here is if you use some form of stop-loss strategy called a "hidden" stop which would be managed by NinjaTrader. This would only happen if you specifically order it to happen, so likely you won't run into that case.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So I understand:
      In SuperDOM, everything under "Stop Strategy" is managed by NT?
      e.g. Auto Breakeven, Auto Trail, etc

Comment

Karado,

That is correct. For example lets say that I place a long order with an ATM strategy that has a trailing stop.

It will submit a market order for a long, this order is filled by the exchange and your broker reports your account owns X contracts of some instrument.

Simultaneously, a stop order and limit order are submitted for a stop-loss and take-profit respectively. These orders will exist on the exchange and will get filled if satisfied.

Meanwhile, NinjaTrader will be updating the price of your limit and stop orders according to the rules you have setup in the ATM strategy. This is NinjaTrader managing the orders and it must be connected to do so. The orders still exist on the exchange so to be filled NinjaTrader does not need to be connected, but NinjaTrader is updating them as time goes on so the price of this limit and/or stop order is changing.

ATM strategies also have OCO or "One cancels other". With IB, these OCO orders are tracked on their server side so if your profit target fills the stop order is cancelled, and vice verci by their servers. Some other providers do not have server side OCO and NinjaTrader must manage it so depending on your broker you may not have server side OCO and NinjaTrader must be connected to use this feature.

Comment

One last clarification:

A Bracket Order, OCO (1 long, 1 short), each Long and Short with a ATM Strategy of Stop loss,and Profit target

This will be managed by Interactive Brokers and not NT?

Comment

Karado,

Yes, that is correct however please note it is not advised to place both long and short orders for the same instrument, on the same account in NinjaTrader.

Comment

Why is it advised not to, Adam? Because it's an OCO, should not be an issue?!
              Last edited by Karado58; 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Karado,

So are you trading a breakout here? That should be OK. I thought you meant having for example a long market and short market order at the same time. Please clarify if I still do not understand.

Comment

Yes you are correct, a breakout, sorry for the confusion! Thank you again!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view
                  0 likes
                  Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                  Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view